Energy Grants:

Private (BTL) landlords who rent to housing benefit tenants could be inline for help with energy efficiency grants as the government decides to support a programme to improve the EPC rating of properties inhabited by tenants claiming housing benefits (HB).

The idea behind the initiative, ahead of the impending legislation enforcing minimum energy efficiency standards next year, is to allocate a grant to housing associations, private landlords or tenants, where the current EPC rating of the property is E or below.

This would mean that those properties let to HB tenants which have is little or no insulation, or are powered by an old gas boilers, or oil, electricity or LPG could qualify for financial support to bring them up to current minimum energy efficiency standards.

- Advertisement -

This follows promises at the recent Conservative party conference to improve the lot of private tenants.

In those households that qualify, and apparently this does not include flats, energy suppliers will install a free replacement energy efficient boilers, and/or insulate the property’s walls or loft.

The energy suppliers will be contracted to carry out these installations in the qualifying properties, depending on the location and type of property, but the householder will not need to be an existing customer, as this obligation will extend to all UK households.

The Energy saving Group says that installing a new A-Rated Boiler will reduce carbon emissions and can save tenants around £300 per year on fuel bills. This will be a part of the Home Heating Cost Reduction Obligation (HHCRO) scheme or “Affordable Warmth Grant” which is aimed at addressing fuel poverty in across the UK.

These boilers have an efficiency rating of A and will provide heat and hot water using less fuel, thus reducing the home energy costs for tenants claiming benefits.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here