Two Chester landlords have been brought to book and fined for letting a “death-trap” flat which had no windows or heating.
Sandeep Jarjapu and Nattha Gohill were fined a total of £5,286 following a successful prosecution by Cheshire West and Chester Council at Chester Magistrates Court.
When the Council inspected the dwelling, which is above a shop in Brook Street, Chester, it was found to have serious safety issues. This was back in December 2017, which led to a Prohibition Order being made, banning the landlords from renting it out. However, subsequent to this, another inspection in June 2018 showed the property to be still occupied.
Jarjapu, 31, of Belgrave Street, Chester, and Gohill, of Seller Street, Chester, had pleaded guilty and were both prosecuted for failing to comply with the Prohibition Order in their absence.
Maria Byrne, Director of Place Operations Cheshire West and Chester Council told The Chester Standard:
“As a council we are very keen to ensure that tenants living in the private rented sector are housed in properties that are safe and free from hazards.
“We will not tolerate landlords who choose to house their tenants in property that is not fit for human habitation.”
“I would urge any tenant living in a property which has serious hazards to report these to the Council`s Housing Standards Team on 0300 123 7038; the team will liaise with the landlord and take whatever action is necessary to remedy the situation.”©LandlordZONE® – legal content applies primarily to England and is not a definitive statement of the law, always seek professional advice.