New immigration rules mean overseas property investors and landlords will find it very difficult to access the UK’s buy-to-let market next year, the Home Office has told LandordZONE.

The Government’s post-Brexit Tier 2 visa programme kicks off on 1st January 2021, with the Skilled Worker visa replacing the Tier 2 (General) work visa.

It awards points for a job offer, with the conditions that arrivals should use English up to a certain level and have a job offer from an approved UK employer.

Landlords are included in the list of eligible jobs but this route is designed for those coming to fill a skilled vacancy that can’t be filled by a resident worker.

That would exclude independent landlords wanting to live here and invest in buy-to-let property.

While EEA nationals who’ve arrived in the UK before 31st December can apply under the EU Settlement Scheme, this is only open for applications until 30th June 2021. 

£2 million minimum

The Government is also restricting other routes; the former Entrepreneur visa, which allowed businesspeople with between £50,000 and £200,000 in funds to enter the UK to set up or take over a UK business, has been replaced by the Innovator visa, which allows entry only on condition they set up an “innovative business” – which effectively wouldn’t cover property management.

Only those with at least £2 million to invest can come to the UK on an Investor visa, but a Home Office spokesperson tells LandlordZONE: “Whilst investment in property would not satisfy the requirements of the immigration rules, a Tier 1 (investor) may buy property in addition to their permitted investment.”

She adds: “If an individual will remain based overseas, they can come to the UK for the purpose of entering into contracts using the visitor route.”



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here