Following Tuesday’s surprise announcement that Universal Credit would be rolled out nationally to all Jobcentres and local authority areas, DWP has just released news of yet further developments in the North West of England.
It has announced, Universal Credit eligibility will extend to single people and couples, with the usual pre-conditions, ensuring only the simplest of cases can claim.
The timetable is as follows:
– 15 September – Rochdale, Middleton, Heywood, Skelmersdale, Ormskirk
– 22 September – Cheetham Hill, Newton Heath, Wythenshawe, Wavertree
– 29 September – Williamson Square, Toxteth, Edge Hill, Everton
– 6 October – Rawtenstall, Nelson, Accrington, Burnley, Colne
– 13 October – Leigh, Atherton, Ashton-in-Makerfield
– 20 October – Macclesfield, Alex Park, Norris Green
– 27 October – West Derby, Garston, Belle Vale, Aintree
– 3 November – Fleetwood
– 10 November – Rusholme, Chorlton, Longsight
– 17 November – Openshaw, Didsbury, Stockport, Widnes, Runcorn
– 24 November – Blackburn, Darwen, Chorley
– 1 December – Ellesmere Port, Salford, Northwich, Winsford
– 8 December – Lancaster, Morecambe, Barrow, Kendal, Blackpool North, Blackpool South, Lytham St Annes
– 15 December – Whitehaven, Workington, Penrith, Carlisle, Clitheroe
– Irlam Jobcentre is yet to be formally scheduled, but will go live in December.
Universal Credit will also be introduced to families in six areas of the North West; further announcement on 24 November. Wider rollout to families outside these six areas is unlikely to occur before April 2015. A family will be defined as single/couple claimants who are responsible for one or more children/young people (i.e. aged 16-19 and in full time non-advanced education or training).
Importantly, it will not include single/couple claimants with children who are fostered, adopted or being looked after, registered blind, have a disability or receive a disability benefit.
Clearly, extension to other areas and a wider group of eligible claimants will create much higher demand. To facilitate this, a further service centre will be opened in Middlesbrough in December, and the Glasgow service centre will be expanded.
If you require any further information in relation to this latest development, please do not hesitate to contact me firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, if you’re not currently a member of our site www.ucadvice.co.uk but are interested in finding out more about this, drop me an e-mail or phone me on 07733 080 389.