The latest available figures for Landlord Possession claims in England & Wales show a marked decline in this activity, though average times to actually achieve possession are quite alarming – figures relate to October to December 2016. All stages of landlord possession actions have decreased, with:
- Landlord possession claims at (30,920),
- Orders for possession (24,674),
- warrants of possession (14,137) and
- repossessions by county court bailiffs (9,067)
Were all down by 16%, 13%, 24% and 7% respectively (compared to the same quarter in 2015. The direction in travel is continuing the annual downward trend seen since April to June 2014.
The majority (60%) of landlord possession claims (18,696) were social landlord claims, 7,337 (24%) were accelerated possession claims and 4,887 (16%) were private landlord claims.
Given that the private rented sector is now bigger than the social rector, private landlords are coming out of this extremely well.
Timescales: The average number of weeks taken from initial landlord claim:
- Possession claims to receiving possession order times have increased slightly from 11.1 weeks (Oct-Dec 2015) to 11.5 weeks (Oct-Dec 2016
- Possession claims to warrants times have decreased from 37.8 weeks (Oct-Dec 2015) to 31.0 (Oct-Dec 2016)
- Possession claims to a repossession times have decreased from 41.4 weeks (Oct-Dec 2015) to 37.3 (Oct-Dec 2016)
So just under 3 months on average to receive a possession order when one is applied for, which does not take account a two-month notice period, but 37 weeks or 9 months to actually evict a tenant.
Source: Ministry of Justice Q1, 2017
These figures really do underline the importance of selecting good tenants.
The full figures for Mortgage and Landlord Possession Statistics in England and Wales, October to December 2016 can be seen here
Note: many local authorities are insisting that landlords take tenants through the whole three stage possession process when the tenant has applied for re-housing. This is not necessary in most cases and the landlord or agent should object strongly to this, see:
Possession Claims show marked decline… https://t.co/vE85X2nmR2
— LandlordZONE (@LandlordZONE) May 5, 2017