Buy to let landlords are used to receiving strange requests from tenants who have some odd ideas about improving their homes or the way they are managed.
London letting agent Benham & Reeves Lettings has compiled a list of some of the weirdest requests they have had –
- Soundproof my bedroom – For some unknown reason a tenant wanted to either keep noise in or out, the letting agent thought it prudent not to ask. The work would have involved building a new wall inside the existing bedroom at a significant cost, so the request was politely declined. The same tenant also asked for all the wooden sash windows in his home to be ripped out and new plastic windows.
- Fun and games – A quick ‘no’ was the response to a tenant who considered a bouncy castle would be the ideal addition to his penthouse apartment terrace
- Slippery when wet – One tenant complained his plastic shower tray was slippery when wet and wanted a replacement
- Fear of foxes – One tenant asked for all the local foxes to be put down as they feared one would sneak into the ground-floor flat at night and attack his children
- Red light – A polite no was given to a tenant who asked the letting agent to recommend high-class call girls for him
- Fit and proper – Another tenant wanted the microwave oven replaced because his plates would not fit through the door
- One to sleep on – Replacing a sofa bed with one that folded up into the wall to make more space was not possible as the wall was not a solid supporting wall but just plasterboard
- Carpet not working – A call to replace the flooring as the carpet was not working properly – a visit showed a new carpet was shedding some fluff
Other requests include putting a shower on a balcony, changing the oven because the turkey won’t fit and only bringing viewers on a Sunday while the tenant was at church.
“Some tenants seem to think that a property management team can deliver the impossible. Although we strive to keep tenants happy, the line must be drawn somewhere,” said a spokesman for the firm.