A landlord who broke a ban forbidding him to let a house in multiple occupation (HMO) until urgent repairs were completed has been ordered to pay £7,000 in fines and costs.
Mark Fouweather, 44, admitted 12 HMO management offences at Newport Magistrates Court, South Wales.
The ban was served on Fouweather after a visit by a council housing team which found the HMO was in a poor state and lacking basic fire safety equipment.
A few weeks later, the team returned to the home and found two tenants still living there.
Fouweather’s lawyer told the court that the council had been tipped off by a tenant with a grudge who had been evicted. This tenant allegedly went to the HMO and ‘trashed’ the inside.
He was fined £4,700 with costs of £2,657
Council takes over HMO
A London council has taken over running a ‘dangerous and cockroach infested’ HMO which threatened the health and safety of 17 tenants.
Camden Council has taken an interim management order on The Happy Vale Hotel to oversee day to day management and repairs to the building.
A council housing team claims leaking raw sewage rotted floor boards, vermin infested many of the rooms, fire alarms failed to work and many of the rooms were in bad repair.
Landlord Stephen Gethin was convicted of managing an unlicensed HMO and 14 other housing offences.
Magistrates ordered he should pay fines and costs of more than £20,000.
HMO landlord jailed for 18 months
Landlord Peter Metcalf was jailed for 18 months for running a squalid HMO in Blackpool.
Preston Crown Court heard he allowed four tenants to live in the almost derelict 190-bedroom New Kimberley Hotel, on South Promenade, Blackpool.
Metcalf, 51, was found guilty of 15 HMO management offences.
The judge heard the council inspection team found beds blocking fire doors, no working fire alarm; fire escapes nailed shut and other risks to life.
Lancashire Fire and Rescue believe this is the harshest sentence handed to a landlord for fire safety offences.
Dave Russel, assistant chief fire officer, said: “We’re extremely pleased with the outcome of the case.
“Officers said they had never seen a building providing accommodation in such a poor state of disrepair and such poor fire safety standards.”