Please Note: This Article is 6 years old. This increases the likelihood that some or all of it's content is now outdated.

The Residential Landlords’ Association got itself off to a flying start this New Year by signing up two major collaborations, both of which help their landlord members.

The Manchester based organisation, with over 20,000 landlord members’ nationally, has been appointed by Liverpool City Council in what they call a co-regulation deal. This offers RLA member landlords a 50% discount on licences which are required throughout the city.

The organisation has also been given the green light to run a new training course for landlords in Wales. The RLA’s bid to provide Rent Smart Wales Landlord Licensing Training is one of the first to be approved by the Wales Cardiff based licensing body.

All landlords who rent out property in Wales have to register with Rent Smart Wales and as part of the Rent Smart Wales licensing agreement. Licence holders are required to have completed approved training – meaning they can successfully manage tenancies within the law and maintain their rented property in good repair.

- Advertisement -

The co-regulation agreement with Liverpool City Council will see landlords in the city who are members of the RLA have their licence fees reduced by half, saving them up to £200 a property. The scheme commits members to providing minimum standards of housing  and will be made available to landlords as an alternative to the council’s own licensing scheme.

Liverpool landlords will still need to conform to the conditions of the council’s mandatory Landlord Licensing Scheme, which requires them to have a five year licence for each of rented property, but it will be self-regulating.

Andrew Goodacre, chief executive of the RLA said:

“The idea of co-regulation has been a key policy feature for the RLA over the past 12 months and we are delighted that Liverpool Council has given us the opportunity to implement a scheme of this nature.

“The RLA is the only landlord association approved to offer a co-regulation alternative to those landlords in Liverpool who wish to continue to manage their portfolio themselves.

“There are a growing number of landlords who are choosing to manage their properties directly and our scheme is an ideal vehicle for self-regulation whilst still providing significant savings of up to 50% on the licence fees.”

The Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA) and National Approved Letting Scheme (NALS) have also been signed up for co-regulation.

Councillor Frank Hont, cabinet member for housing at Liverpool City Council said:

“When we launched the Landlord Licensing scheme we were clear that we wanted to work with the private rented sector to help them comply with the scheme and find ways of giving discounts to those that are committed to meeting standards.

“I am delighted that ARLA, NALS and the RLA have all come on board. It is a win-win for everyone because their members benefit from a reduced fee and we are able to target our resources at those landlords who we know aren’t meeting standards.”

Rent Smart Wales was introduced by the Welsh Government back in November and landlords have been given 12 months to comply – by 23 November 2016.

RLA Director for Wales Douglas Haig said:

“Whilst the RLA opposed the Rent Smart Wales scheme because it is a misguided approach to improving the sector by Welsh Government, we have however always represented landlords that provide safe and secure housing.

“The RLA has been training landlords for nearly 20 years and we are pleased to add another area of training for our landlords, specifically dedicated to those that own properties in Wales.

“I’m sure landlords will prefer to use a training provider with this experience and that has the best interest of landlords at heart.”

Full details of the classroom course, including dates, times and fees will be made available shortly.

The course is relevant to landlord licensing only and not suitable for letting agents who will need to attend other appropriate training in order to obtain an agents’ licence.

Please Note: This Article is 6 years old. This increases the likelihood that some or all of it's content is now outdated.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here