Please Note: This Article is 6 years old. This increases the likelihood that some or all of it's content is now outdated.

Leaving five student tenants for a month without heating or hot water in the winter has cost a shared house in multiple occupation (HMO) landlord £30,000 in fines and costs.

The students complained to Roy Cooper that the boiler had broken in their home in Hammersmith, West London.

He failed to carry out any repairs, so his tenants complained to Hammersmith & Fulham Council.

Cooper, 47, still failed to repair the house, so the council did the work for him.

- Advertisement -

He was found guilty in his absence at Hammersmith Magistrates Court and fined £23,000 with £2,280 costs for failing to licence the shared house as an HMO and failing to carry out repairs.

In a strange twist of fate, a council has bought a house sold by a landlord prosecuted by them for 28 HMO and health and safety offences at two homes.

Terence Higgins, 51, admitted all the charges at Hatfield Court, Hertfordshire.

Most involved gas, electrical and fire safety problems at an HMO. The others related to failing to maintain another letting property.

Higgins was fined £14,000 with £6,848 costs.

Higgins has put both properties for sale – and one has been bought by the council to turn into family housing.

Dangerous homes let to tenants also led to landlords Mohammed Yousaf and Mohammed Ali of Peterborough, pleading guilty to a catalogue of offences relating to the disrepair of the properties.

Peterborough Magistrates fined Yousaf £1,500 for breaking two improvement notices and £1,500 for breaching an abatement notice.  He must also pay £1,000 costs.

Ali was fined £500 for failing to repair a rental property and attempting to obstruct council officers and contractors from carrying out their duties. He must also pay £875 costs.

He faces magistrates again in a few weeks over criminal charges relating to threatening the officers and contractors.

Landlord Stephen Rayns, 58, must pay more than £10,000 in fines and costs after admitting running an unlicensed HMO and breaking five health and safety rules at a shared house in the city.

Please Note: This Article is 6 years old. This increases the likelihood that some or all of it's content is now outdated.
Subscribe to LandlordZONE

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here