Please Note: This Article is 7 years old. This increases the likelihood that some or all of it's content is now outdated.

A landlord from Stafford has been fined more than £4,200 for letting a house which was breaking fire safety rules at a property in West Way on the town’s Highfields estate.

Stafford magistrates heard how six tenants’ living in the property at the time had their lives put in danger because landlord Raymond Manning had failed to have repairs and alterations done, even after Stafford Borough Council officials had told him to do so.

An inspection by Stafford Council environmental health officer Brendan Grufferty led to him serving an improvement notice after the inspection revealed that there was no fire door to the kitchen, no working smoke detectors, some overloaded electrical sockets, and the gas safety checks for a gas fire and boiler had not been carried out.

Other hazards noted included no hand rails or covering on the stairs, poor lighting, and the front door not properly secured.

- Advertisement -

Raymond Manning was fined a total of more than £4,200 including costs after he admitted eight offences relating to health and safety and failing to comply with an improvement notice issued by the Council between January and June.

The council had carried out an inspection after one of the tenants reported the conditions in the property to them as he was worried about the standard of repair works done at the property.

In his defence Manning said:

“I didn’t realise I was a landlord with tenants – I believed I was a home owner with some lodgers. Some of the people living there have not been paying me money but have been claiming housing benefit from the council.”

Magistrate Keith Colson said the offences were of a serious nature and Manning had ignored his responsibility to put things right.

Please Note: This Article is 7 years old. This increases the likelihood that some or all of it's content is now outdated.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here