Electrical Safety:

ARLA propertymark reminds us that the Commencement Order in Sections 122 and 123 of the Housing and Planning Act 2016 (electrical safety standards) came into force on 25 October 2019. This means that mandatory electrical safety checks in the private rented sector in England regulations will be implemented very soon.

The Housing and Planning Act 2016, under Section 122, contains an enabling power to allow the Secretary of State, through regulations, to impose duties on private landlords ensuring that electrical safety standards are met.

The frequency of checks and the qualifications for those electricians carrying them out, as well as penalties for breaches and an appeals process, are all likely to be specified soon.

- Advertisement -

However, with a general election now in progress it is likely to be the New Year before action is taken.

A working group of interested parties, including ARLA Propertymark, other industry representatives and landlord bodies, electrical and tenant bodies, have provided recommendations to government on the proposed requirements for electrical safety in the private rented sector (PRS).

Here is a summary of the Electrical Safety Working Group recommendations provided by ARLA Propertymark:

Recommendation 1: Five yearly mandatory electrical installation checks should be set out in secondary legislation.

Recommendation 2: Visual checks of the safety of the electrical installation by landlords at a change of tenancy should be encouraged as good practice and set out in guidance.

Recommendation 3: A report should be issued to the landlord which confirms that an EICR has been completed along with confirmation that any remedial work necessary has been undertaken satisfactorily. A copy should be issued to the tenant at the beginning of the tenancy and should be made available to local authorities on request.

Recommendation 4: Landlord supplied electrical appliance testing and visual checks of electrical appliances by landlords at a change of tenancy should be encouraged as good practice and set out in guidance.

Recommendation 5: The installation of Residual Current Devices (RCDs) by landlords should be encouraged as good practice and set out in guidance.

Recommendation 6: A Private Rented Sector electrical testing competent person’s scheme should be set up which would be separate from existing Building Regulations competent person’s scheme.

Recommendation 7: DCLG should commission the Electrotechnical Assessment Specification (EAS) management committee to consider the most effective method of recognising ‘competent PRS testers’ to carry out electrical inspections and tests.

Recommendation 8: Legislative requirements should be phased in, beginning with new tenancies, followed by all existing tenancies.

It is anticipated that the eventual regulations will follow closely these recommendations, so all PRS landlords should consider these and make plans to comply as soon as possible.

Electrical safety in the private rented sector

Subscribe to LandlordZONE


  1. All Part P registered electrical contractors have to hold a current EIS Regs and Inspection and Testing qualification to be able to certify and register work under the Building Regs. The difference between inspection and testing new work/ alterations and periodic inspection and testing is minimal.
    So why would an additional qualification and registration be required?
    I foresee there being a shortage of electricians willing to sign up for the scheme if they have to pay out for additional qualifications and registration.
    Before retirement I was a Part P registered electrical contractor and during my career worked as an electrician, contract manager, clerk of works and had forty plus years of testing and auditing test results of domestic, commercial and industrial installations.

  2. There is no need to have your inspection and testing to notify, only 18th edition and part P in enough to join NICEIC so many domestic installers who are currently doing work and notifying will not be able to do EICR’s unless they have their level 3 inspection and testing this means either city & guilds 2394/2395 or 2391 or EAL level 3 (there are some others but i cant remember them all) anyway you will need the relevant inspection and testing qualification and at present you will not need to be registered with any scheme because it has nothing to do with notifying, so as i understand it you can quite simply go and do EICR’s without being a member of any governing body as long as you have your 18th and level 3.

  3. This is a great addition tips blog on new electrical safety standards for England, thank you for sharing this article. I love it how you have written the insightful, all these information very vital for all of us and it is great.Do check out this Mitchellelectrical.nz, it has some great and nice ideas to look for.

  4. It is a wonderful article stating about the new electrical safety standards for england.I am really happy to come across this exceptionally well written content. I agree with all your points that you have stated here, love this blog. Thanks for sharing and look for more in future!! Do check out this stsolutions.nz/cctv-security-cameras-auckland/, it has some great and nice ideas to look for.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here