Please Note: This Article is 9 years old. This increases the likelihood that some or all of it's content is now outdated.

What are the rules on gas and electrical inspections and certificates for residential lettings? Do I need both a gas and electrical certificate?

Landlords’ Gas and Electricity Inspections  and  Safety Certificates:

As a landlord, or as a letting agent acting on the landlord’s behalf, you have a legal obligation to ensure that your accommodation is completely safe for your tenants.

Several laws say you must ensure that appliances are working correctly to guard against the dangers of carbon monoxide and electrocutions.

Your landlord’s insurance policy may be invalid if you do not meet your legal obligations in this regard.

Gas Annual Inspections and Safety Certificates

Every rental property supplied with gas or has any sort of gas appliance, requires an annual Gas Safety Certificate. These certificates are issued only by heating engineers registered with the Gas Safe Register.

The Gas Safe Register replaced CORGI (Council for Registered Gas Installers) as the only legally recognised gas safety register in the UK on 1st April 2009. Certificates are valid for a year from the date of issue and must be in place whenever a new tenancy begins. In addition, your tenant must be given a copy of the certificate.

Landlord’s Electrical Certificates

Landlords’ electrical inspections and certificates are also important to ensure the safety of your tenants. They also help you to prove that you have taken the necessary steps to avoid accidents.

Although currently in the UK there is no legal requirement to have an annual electrical inspepction and certificate, landlords are strongly advised to do this and their insurers often insist on it.

All electrical inspections and certification should be done by a qualified electrician who is registered with the National Inspection Council for Electrical Installers and Contractors (NICEIC).

There are two main types of electrical inspection and certification:

The Periodic Inspection Report – Landlords are advised to have a full electrical system inspection carried out every five years to ten years maximum.

Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) – It is also a good idea to have an electrician carry out PAT testing on all electrical appliances in the accommodation every year – ideally when the gas checks are done. Portable mains powered electrical appliances should include ALL those appliances supplied with the property.

It is particularly important to check any second-hand appliances you have purchasd for your tenants. New ones should already be safe, but keep all purchase receipts so you can prove when and where purchased and the age of all appliances.

©LandlordZONE All Rights Reserved – never rely totally on these standard answers which apply primarily to England & Wales. Before taking action or not, always do your own research and/or seek professional advice with the full facts of the case and all documents to hand.

Please Note: This Article is 9 years old. This increases the likelihood that some or all of it's content is now outdated.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here