min read

LATEST: Guidance issued for landlords with tenants hoping to take in Ukrainian refugees

ukraine house flag

Landlords have been warned to check a property's potential status if their tenant wants to offer Ukrainian refugees a spare room.

Updated guidance on the rules around the Homes for Ukraine scheme outlines that where a private tenant is paying rent for their accommodation, the property might be covered by additional/mandatory HMO licensing schemes in the area.

It advises: 'The landlord can consider whether they are happy to approve of the arrangement, including whether this may bring them within scope of HMO licensing in their local area.

"Where accommodation could be covered by selective licensing, councils should take a pragmatic approach in recognition of the unique nature of the scheme.'�

Landlord consent

Tenants offering a spare room are already advised to seek their landlord's consent before doing so, according to the Department for Levelling Up, Housing & Communities, which adds: 'Where no rent is being paid by the sponsor of the accommodation, and since no rent is payable by the guest under the scheme, we do not expect councils to require such accommodation to obtain an HMO licence, whether mandatory or additional.'�

LandlordZONE has already reported that landlords have been warned about the legal pitfalls of opening up a home to Ukrainians fleeing the war, as offering anything other than a room in your own main home, such as an annex or separate property, can inadvertently create a tenancy.

There are also questions around responsibility for property maintenance, insurance and payment for utilities and council tax that need to be considered.


No items found.