Rent Arrears:

The Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA) has put out some useful information to help those landlords who deal with Housing Benefit tenants on the new Universal Credit payments system.

The Department for Work and Pensions has (On 11 April 2017) introduced improvements in the way it handles the Alternative Payment Arrangement (UC47 form) applications which will remove the need for landlords to provide a lot of additional evidence.

Private Landlords and registered social landlords can request a Managed Payment direct to the Landlord as an Alternative Payment Arrangement and / or repayment of rent arrears. This applies in cases where tenants build-up rent arrears, or where they have issues such as drug or alcohol problems or other personal complex factors affecting their ability to manage their money and pay their rent.

- Advertisement -

Under the new system, applications will be accepted via email or by post using the new improved UC47 Secure or Non-secure Alternative Payment Arrangement request forms, removing the need to provide additional evidence.

The form includes a section where landlords can give reasons for their claim and they will be required to sign a statement of truth.

The UC47 forms are available here

Guidance on Alternative Payments is available here

General Guidance on UC for Rented Property Landlords here


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here