Please Note: This Article is 7 years old. This increases the likelihood that some or all of it's content is now outdated.

A landlord property company accused of letting a home with faulty electrics has had an appeal against an order to carry out work to modernise the installation thrown out by a property tribunal.

The firm, HM Estates, was asked to upgrade the letting property after an Oxford City Council environmental health officer visited the home and found “dated, in disrepair and poorly maintained” electrics.

The tribunal heard the electrics dated back to the 1960s and that the landlord, Tariq Khuja had been sent a list of defects that needed improving and was also asked to produce an electrical safety certificate to confirm the work had been completed.

He failed to do so within the time limit set by the council. An improvement notice was issued.

- Advertisement -

A few weeks later, Khuja gave the council a safety certificate, but the council considered that he had not completed all the required work.

In return, Khuja appealed to the tribunal on the grounds the improvement notice was not properly served and the electrical work was completed before the notice was issued.

The tribunal disagreed and ruled in the council’s favour, ordering Khuja to pay £300 costs.

Meanwhile a landlord in Southend, Essex, is due to face magistrates after local media investigation highlighted alleged house in multiple occupation (HMO) licensing breaches.

Alfred Katona, 75, faces a number of fire safety and management charges.

Southend Council has also launched an investigation into standard at another nine homes owned by Mr Katona.

Landlord Ajit Singh was jailed for nine months for renting out a home in Kettering, Northamptonshire, with a defective smoke alarm that led to the death of a boy, aged seven.

A judge at the town’s crown court heard that the boy was overcome by smoke when a fire was triggered by faulty electrics at the home.

Singh, who is said to own a portfolio of several letting properties, had taken the battery out of the alarm.

 

Please Note: This Article is 7 years old. This increases the likelihood that some or all of it's content is now outdated.
Subscribe to LandlordZONE

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here