A landlord must pay £12,000 after ignoring local council demands to improve living conditions for tenants at three rental properties.
Robert Emery, of Higham, Kent, was fined £8,300 and ordered to pay £3,780 costs at Medway Magistrates Court for failing to carry out repairs to two letting properties after improvement orders were served
He also allowed tenants to continue living at a third property after a prohibition order was served.
The court heard the homes were cold and damp. Some had no working toilets and dangerous electrical wiring.
Emery pleaded guilty to the three offences but did not attend to court.
Oxford landlord Juan Avila, 48, was fined £11,500 with £1,124 costs at Oxford Magistrates Court for a six shared house in multiple occupation (HMO) licensing and safety offences.
Tenants complained to the council about the state of the property
HMO landlord Darren Avey was fined £10,000 and told to pay £1,875 costs by York magistrates for shoehorning nine tenants into a house without a licence.
Avey, 49, admitted not having a licence but claimed he did not have one as the city council had not granted planning permission for converting the property into an HMO.
On average, Avey was receiving £3,500 rent from his tenants.
A plumber put lives at risk with shoddy work on gas appliances at a buy to let home in Tiptree, Essex.
Ryan Ellingford, 30, trading as R J Plumbing & Heating, falsified a landlord gas safety certificate claiming he had services a boiler and other appliances at the property.
However, he did not carry out the work properly and was not registered as a gas engineer.
At Southend Magistrates Court, he was ordered to serve 140 hours of community service
Tree house shame
A massive tree growing through a HMO shared by eight tenants was ‘the most dangerous house ever seen’ by an electrician working for Lambeth Council, South London.
The tenants used the branch as a table and ran electrical cables around the bough.
Eight tenants shared the three-bed house, for which the landlord charged around £40,000 in rent.
The unnamed landlord has not yet faced prosecution.
“The conditions the people in this illegal HMO were living in were truly appalling, and represented a genuine danger to life and limb,” Councillor Matthew Bennett said.