Please Note: This Article is 7 years old. This increases the likelihood that some or all of it's content is now outdated.

A tenant died and two others suffered from burns and breathing in smoke in a fire at a shared house owned by an HMO landlord.

After an investigation into the blaze, landlord Ashiq Mohammed Sadip, 54, from Eastville, Bristol, admitted breaching house in multiple occupation (HMO) fire safety rules at Bristol Crown Court.

Judge Phillip Wassal sentenced Sadip to six months in jail suspended for two years, 200 hours community service and ordered him to pay costs to Avon Fire and Rescue Service of £7,819.

After the fire, in December 2011, investigators found the home had no working fire alarms, the kitchen had no self-closing fire door and combustible material was stored near unprotected electrical wiring along the fire escape route.

- Advertisement -

The judge told Sadip he was guilty of ‘substantial negligence”.

£25,500 fine for squalid HMO landlord

In Newham, East London, landlord Belal Salik Choudhury was fined £25,500 and ordered to pay £860 costs for failing to licence a shared house in a poor state of repair.

Seven adults and two children were living in the house.

Newham magistrates heard the tenants paid £2,300 to live in the house with dirty carpets and walls.

The home had no fire alarms, cracked windows and was infested with mould and condensation.

Choudhury was found guilty of 25 offences involving the repair of the house

Mayor of Newham Sir Robin Wales said: “I was with the the housing enforcement team when they visited this property which was in a disgusting state. The tenants were subjected to overcrowded and dangerous conditions that put their health at risk. To subject children to these conditions was particularly sickening.’

£25,000 fine for fire trap HMO landlord

A landlord who rented out five dangerous bedsits above an industrial unit in Mitcham, Surrey, was ordered to pay £25,000 in fines and costs for breaking fire safety laws.

Irshad Ibrahim, 33, of Rural Way, Streatham, admitted 10 offences at Wimbledon Magistrates’ Court.

He was banned from allowing people to sleep on the upper floor and the property was evacuated due to immediate ‘serious fire safety concerns’ following the inspection.

Ibrahim was also ordered to pay the London Fire Brigade £5,000 costs confiscated from rents he collected at a separate hearing at Kingston Crown Court.

 

Please Note: This Article is 7 years old. This increases the likelihood that some or all of it's content is now outdated.
Subscribe to LandlordZONE

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here