Please Note: This Article is 6 years old. This increases the likelihood that some or all of it's content is now outdated.

Six tenants were shoe-horned into a death trap house – and some had to sleep in a room with a ceiling only four feet high.

The terraced house in Darlington, County Durham, had live electricity cables hanging across windows, broken lights, inadequate fire safety and a catalogue of other horrors.

Landlord Mizan Abdin, 27, admitted 17 breaches of house in multiple occupation (HMO) rules by post to 18 counts of failing to comply with regulations in respect of housing in multiple occupation.

Darlington magistrates ordered him to pay fines and costs of more than £32,000.

- Advertisement -

Magistrate Christine Selby said: “This situation is appallingly dangerous and the state of this house could have led to injury or even, in the worst case, death.”

Gas safety

Landlord Giles Boardman failed to keep up gas safety checks on a buy to let home in Plymouth, Devon, that led to a gas oven left in a state that risked an explosion.

Plymouth magistrates fined him £4,050 after he admitted two gas safety offences and ordered him to pay costs of £513.

Illegal eviction

Landlord Naveed Hussain, 32, admitted harassing a tenant and unlawful eviction at Sheffield Magistrates Court, South Yorkshire.

The court heard he twisted the tenant’s arm, racially abused him and threw his belongings out of the home.

Hussain was ordered to carry out 120 hours of unpaid community work and to pay £1,598 in costs.

Unlicensed HMOs

HMO landlord Patrick Mullen was fined £10,000 with £1,900 costs for letting out two unlicensed homes in Bedford.

Luton magistrates heard one home was unlicensed for three years and the other for 18 months.

A landlord has received a fine totalling £11,900 for operating two unlicensed Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) in the Bedford area after being prosecuted by Bedford Borough Council.

The landlord, Patrick Mullen of 87 Castle Road, Bedford, was ordered to attend Luton Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, August 12.

He was charged with failing to licence two properties he owns and rents out to tenants. The first property at 41 Conduit Road went unlicensed for three years, whilst the second property at 1 St Michael’s Road went unlicensed for 18 months.

Health and safety offences

Landlord Raymond Manning, 37, pleaded guilty to health and safety breaches at an HMO in Stafford.

At Stafford Magistrates Court Manning was ordered to pay £4,200 in fines and costs.

Please Note: This Article is 6 years old. This increases the likelihood that some or all of it's content is now outdated.
Subscribe to LandlordZONE

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here