The sun has not stopped shining and the windows have never been closed. As police departments across the country report an increase of opportunistic thefts as a result of the hot weather, Total Landlord Insurance are reminding landlords and their tenants not be complacent and forget key security measures which could put their property and its contents at risk.
Total Landlord Insurance advises:-
1. It is inevitable that at some point during the hot spell, tenants renting a property will have kept the windows and doors open but have they always remembered to lock up at the end of each night? Forgetting to do this puts a property at risk, making it an easy target for burglars. Remind tenants to check all doors and windows at the end of each day and if they must leave windows open throughout the night then make sure it is secure to do so.
2. Installing security measures such as CCTV, alarms or sensor lights can often deter a burglar from approaching the property. Such security measures are reassuring for tenants.
3. Landlords should also ensure tenants renting properties with gardens have proper locks in order to secure sheds and outbuildings which may contain both the tenants’ and landlord’s belongings, such as garden tools or motor vehicles. These are often the first target for ‘summer thieves’.
4. With longer days and lighter evenings people are less likely to draw their curtains meaning valuables are often left on display. Not everything can be put away but items such as tablets, mobile phones and laptops should be hidden from view to avoid appealing to opportunists.
5. If tenants are going away in the coming weeks, landlords may wish to think about measures to make the property look occupied whilst it is vacant. Timer lights can give a “lived in” look in the evenings. Alternatively, arrange with the tenants to pay a visit to the property in their absence to clear post, move bins and check the property is secure.
Total landlord Insurance is brought to you by Hamilton Fraser Insurance and has been created as a specialist provider of affordable, simple and practical landlord insurance.
Article Provided By – Total Landlord Insurance