Jun, 2017

Saturday

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I agree with you, I just wish I had the templates.

He sent me a template for a rent authority letter, which I don't feel would cover me.

Additionally, I tried to download a S48 notice from the documents here on LLZ, but I never received the download link.

He is doing the conveyancing, so I'm not paying him separately for this.

I assume neither of these notices would be required if a new tenancy agreement was signed?

I have found a S48 Notice now, but the S3 I have is clearly meant for long leaseholders, so I don't think I could use it in these circumstances.

The information required for the s48 notice and the s3 information are pretty much the same and don't have to be in any specified form.
    They just have to give the necessary information.

I think you have wrongly briefed your conveyancer.
    Buying a property with a tenant is more complex than buying a vacant property, and you need a conveyancer who knoes what needs to be done and makes sure it is done correctly.

What is happening with any tenancy deposit (which may be held by the seller's letting agent)?
    Does the tenancy agreement contain any problematic references to the seller's agent (who's services you may not want to use)?
    Is the property you are buying leasehold, and, if so, does the tenancy agreement reflect the head lease terms?
    Do you have the first and latest tenancy agreement as copies - which you will need for accelerated possession?
    Do you have evidence that any tenancy documentation was supplied to deadline along with the Prescribed Information?

As a general point, buying a tenanted property with a tenant is a good idea if you plan to continue the tenancy.
    If you don't want the tenant in place, I'd always buy with vacant possession, even if it costs a bit more - getting rid of a tenant who doesn't want to leave is costly and stressful enough - without relying on someone else's paperwork.
    Why would a seller sell with a tenant in place if there's no good reason to do so - they close off the market from most potential purchasers, and so selling with no tenant is almost always simpler and makes more money.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

There are other posts on the forum that suggest that with an insurance backed deposit scheme the deposit can be tricky to transfer to a new owner without risking it becoming temporarily unprotected. As you want to serve a s21 and presumably evict asap then I would get the current landlord to return the deposit to the tenant prior to completion.

Quote Originally Posted by jpkeates View Post
    As a general point, buying a tenanted property with a tenant is a good idea if you plan to continue the tenancy.
    If you don't want the tenant in place, I'd always buy with vacant possession, even if it costs a bit more - getting rid of a tenant who doesn't want to leave is costly and stressful enough - without relying on someone else's paperwork.
    Why would a seller sell with a tenant in place if there's no good reason to do so - they close off the market from most potential purchasers, and so selling with no tenant is almost always simpler and makes more money.
    This was my first thought.

Get the vendor to remove the tenant prior to exchange.