May, 2017

Monday

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by scot22 View Post
    In addition, I also feel it is never a good idea to D.I.Y - it can open up a number of different liabilities.
    That is true enough. But the problem is that there are thousands of lessees out there with absent non-responsive freeholders where there are no evident definitive legal remedies and no one with personal responsibility or liability (especially those who thought it was a great idea to purchase the freehold and become share of freehold blocks). If lessees did nothing the buildings would just sink into drug infected rat infested flea-pits.

2. Thanks: 1

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Hi. Thank you all for responding. The water level has gone down quite a bit today and I've decided that any damage done probably isn't going to get much worse before Monday- it rained a lot here yesterday and I think that was a major contributing factor but no more is forecast.

I think my main concerns were firstly leaving my back gate unlocked for a week (I live in an area with a drug and related crime problem both within my building and the surrounding streets) and secondly that my managing agent would simply not act as he resigned about six months ago as he felt he wasn't paid enough but said he would stay till replaced and he's been very slow to act on previous maintenance issues. It is very unfortunate timing in that I'm going away tomorrow.

Anyway I've left a message on the agent's answer phone and sent two emails calling for urgent action and I'm going to lock the gate and hide the key giving him instructions on where to find it and then just cross my fingers; hope for the best and deal with the consequences when I return ­čÖé.

Andrew, I'm sorry I did not make myself clear. The D.I.Y I was actually referring to was leaseholders doing the work themselves : even if they have the skills.
    There is an established procedure for a leaseholder to engage a professional, if the freeholder is failing to act. Follow this, pay the tradesman and then recoup the money ( if you can !). This avoids the risk of unqualified people doing jobs and potential resulting problems.

if you have any bicarbonate of soda and white vinegar then one cup of each mixed and poured down drain - it will fizz. After half an hour kettle of boiling water. Hopefully will lower level until they get a professional to deal with it. Invest in a drain cover afterwards, with no cover of any type all sorts of rubbish can just blow down.