Mar, 2017

Wednesday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First step planning

I have a small parcel of land that I would like to build on, but Im not sure its either big enough, Im guessing I with need a feasibility study.

What is the cheapest way to do this, ive read fee's start from around 550 pounds but to me this is way to expensive just to know if there are possibilities.

Could somebody please advise.

Thanks

Make an appointment to go and talk to your local planning office and tell them what you are thinking of doing.

They will tell you the basic rules but of course won't commit themselves to anything until they see your application but at least you will know if what you want to do is realistic or a non-starter.

Not sure if there is a cost involved these days but we had a free consultation of about 30 mins back in 2009.

free advice has gone in our area. How big is this piece of land, what road frontage does it have, where is it (built up area, presumably), what height are the surrounding buildings? Are services on the land or nearby?

If you can build nothing else there may be a demand for a garage or two in the area, you might be able to sell to a neighbour wishing to expand their property.

buzzard1994,

Its an odd shape piece of land but am sure I could cut an 8 metre x 8 metre square with still some garden or car spot for front but no rear land this would keep it in line with the adjacent building. Its my garden that is on the side that has a road as its border. The surrounding buildings are the typical height in greater london.

I wonder whats possible, I rather like to build two two bed flats.

you might be able to get a local builder and/or architect to give you an opinion. I'm not really following your description of this but 2 x 2 bed flats might be a bit optimistic even with London small room sizes. Also if the surrounding buildings are mainly houses with large gardens you might be better going for a single house.

It's worth phoning your planning department to see if they still do free advice. Also look at their online portal to see what is being approved in your area.

2 X 2 bed flats with parking and outside space and bike sheds on 8m x8m - I like people who are optimistic but this one is a Do do

Quote Originally Posted by Interlaken View Post
    2 X 2 bed flats with parking and outside space and bike sheds on 8m x8m - I like people who are optimistic but this one is a Do do
    If you had taken the time to read my post correctly you would have understood that the 8m x 8m was for the build and the car space etc was going to be from the land left over.

You could draw a sketch plan, showing the outline of the plot, nearest road, your 8x8 square and where this sits on the land together with a block outline of neighbouring properties. you'll need it anyway to get free advice from anyone other than a builder because no-one else is going to come and look at the site for you. You'll also need photos but I wouldnt post them here.

IMG_2024.jpg

The dimensions are approx.

that makes it look like you have something (grass?) between the path and the road so you dont have direct road frontage and need a right of way across someone else's land (council's). They probably wont let you build right up to the alley, unless you own the alley and grant power over it.

I'd look at one house and a garage.