Mar, 2017

Sunday

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

One can only try

If I come across a relevant note on the legislation I'll share it with you. In the meantime, RLA first paragraph on this page is fairly clear:
    https://www.rla.org.uk/landlord/guides/epc/
    ".. When is an EPC needed?
    Where a dwelling is being let an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) will be required..."

Again thanks all for your input.

This article from the RLA doesn't help because it says "Where a dwelling is being let an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) will be required."

Is the assumption here that an EPC is required at all times whilst being let? or is this just a bad summary of the legislation?

The article goes on to say "In addition, further changes took effect as from 1st October 2015 for new tenancies starting on or after that date. Landlords will now have to provide the EPC to tenants before they can rely on a section 21 notice. Further information on this is available in our Section 21 FAQ."

The tenants have had a fixed term tenancy agreement since May 2015. Again my intention was to let it turn into a periodic when it expires in May 2017.

My only concern is does a periodic tenancy end up being classified a as a monthly agreement?

jjlandlords suggestion is the answer I am looking for. What would be ideal is to be able to verify it with the legislation which can cause brain damage trying to decipher.

I would take "Where a dwelling is let..." and "When a dwelling is let..." to mean when it's first let.

If it said "While a dwelling is let...." that would mean the whole time it is let.

Of course I could be wrong.

When it comes to selling a property you need an EPC but that EPC never needs renewal until the property is sold again.
    Therefore I won't be chasing a new EPC for let house until I need a new tenant, assuming a rolling tenancy.

If however the tenant demands a new lease every 6/12 months then I suppose a valid EPC will be needed on each lease renewal.