Mar, 2017

Thursday

Thread: Electric meters

Default Electric meters

We have just taken over an HMO with 5 self contained flats. The landlord pays the electric bill for the whole house and the tenants have individual coin meters which the landlord has to empty. Can anyone suggest a better way of doing this. Would it be expensive for us to rewire and only pay electric for the communal areas and let the tenants pay their own individual bills? Would the supplier have to fit new meters or would it be the ladlord?

If you have 5 self contained flats, then you are not running it as an HMO.
    It is a building with 5 self contained flats, each flat should have its OWN electric / gas meters.

It will be an H.M.O. ONLY because more than one third of the flats are let, and you would not need an hmo licence, but still have to obey the HMO rules.
    If self contained flats, then they will have to pay council tax individually, as a self contained flat will have it's own flat number, will not be sharing a bathroom and kitchen with the other residents, as they are "self contained"

SOUNDS like the person who converted it did not do the right thing, and you now have to install separate meters- without fail.

I have lived in a freeholder owned 5 self contained flats in a building.
    All flats had their own meters in the basement, and no way would i entertain the common electric bills -- no way, or for the little old lady that had the heating on all day, summer and winter.

SELF CONTAINED is the magic word here, and you pay for the communal lighting.

How about these: http://stephenpwales.co.uk/prepaymen...ers/phone.html

Tenant can pay by phone or internet, so no need for coin box emptying.

Tenant can pay by phone or internet,
    And who is going to pay the £ 70 to £ 90 for an ongoing subscription to support the service ?
    I would refuse to pay that in a self contained flat.
    Nor would I accept a rent increase to cover it.

You cannot charge more for electric than you pay for it

Have you seen www.landlordmetering.com - they have a solution which based on the same technology as the Stephen Wales system but is free.

They send out the pre-payment smart meters and take over all the hassle. They're a new company been set up entirely for this purpose.

6. Thanks: 1

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

JK0

Quote Originally Posted by ram View Post
    If self contained flats, then ....SOUNDS like the person who converted it did not do the right thing, and you now have to install separate meters- without fail.

Don't believe that you are correct.

The freeholder has the right to implement a sub-metering system in his premises. They are surprisingly common. I have experience of a block of 40 flats in Romford in an office block conversion where each one was sold off on a long term lease but has a sub-metering system.

It can cost a fortune to connect every flat up the distribution network. Northern Powergrid wanted £2,150k to add another meter to a conversion of a two up two down house that I made into two flats - just wanted a the new meter to be installed three feet away from the original. The network operator need to dig up the pavement and in this case - dig up the road. There was also going to be an eight week delay. I have just installed the Landlord Metering solution. It cost me £300 deposit for the two meters. They are even paying me £30 interest on my deposit. Early days, but so far both me and the tenants have been very happy with it