May, 2017

Wednesday

Default Diplaying Letting Agent Fees on Website - Consumer Rights Act 2015

Hi Guys

Hoping someone can help.

A letting agent I was thinking of using has a website, but I couldn't see their fees listed anywhere. I eventually found them. However to access them you have to go into a property currently being advertised to let, whereby it states rent pcm + fees. Then you click on fees (although that was by chance as by looking at the word fees, it does not look like a live link).

This then list fees for both tenants and landlords.

However whilst this might be adequate for a prospective tenant, is this adequate under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 from a landords point of view, as effectively he is not aware of fees until his property is listed?

Thanks for any advice.

Why on earth wouldn't the landlord know? The fee is agreed before you agree to their services (if you mean that the landlord is not aware of fees to tenants then I agree that is a problem)

Thanks for your kind reply AndrewDod. Yes I actually mean both.

I understand the fee is agreed to before you agree to their services, of course, however if you are simply 'shopping around' several agents websites prior to making contact how would you be aware of fees?

Regardless, the display requirements of the act require fees to be displayed in a conspicuous place with a comprehensive list of everything that a landlord or tenant could be asked to pay by the letting agent at any time before during or after a tenancy.

It doesn't sound ideal, but it's better than many other agents, who simply don't comply at all.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).