LandlordZONE

Oct, 2014

Wednesday

Default Selling leasehold but cannot find title deeds

I am in the process of selling my leasehold flat and am unable to locate the title deeds. The building society who we have our mortgage with say they do not have them. Can anyone tell me what i can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulahballulah View Post
    I am in the process of selling my leasehold flat and am unable to locate the title deeds. The building society who we have our mortgage with say they do not have them. Can anyone tell me what i can do.
    1. Which solicitors last acted for you re conveyancing? Contact them, as they may have retained deeds in vaults.
    2. If sols. don't have the deeds, ask them if they ever did and, if so, to whom the deeds were sent/when/by what method.
    3. BS and sols. cannot both reply negatively. Sols. must have received deeds when you acquired.
    4. Also, assuming that your ownership is registered, contact HMLR and obtain official copy entries (register and plan) for £6 electronic order or £12 otherwise. These should at least show that you own the property even in absence of deeds, and a copy lease can also be obtained (at a cost- £10 electronic order or £20 otherwise).
    Last edited by jeffrey; 10-08-2007 at 14:53 PM. Reason: "A" with accent and "�" restored to "£" signs!
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

3. Default

If your property is unregistered and you still cannot track down who has your deeds then kick up a fuss with your building society as reconstituting the title of your property when it is unregistered can be expensive. You should be able to get your Building Society to pay for this if they are the last people to have control of the deeds.

Also try contacting your landlord as they usual hold a counterpart copy of the lease which is identical to the one that will be with your deeds.

Hope this helps
    Visit www.conveyancingexpert.co.uk for advice on how to choose a conveyancer that's suitable for you.

Also, if property is within pre-1974 Yorkshire, secondary info available from West/East/North Yorkshire Archive Services (=one per Riding).
    Last edited by jeffrey; 10-08-2007 at 14:54 PM.
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulahballulah View Post
    So what happened in the end?