LandlordZONE

Apr, 2014

Sunday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Deed of covenant" required for sale of leasehold

Good morning all

First time I have dealt with conveyancing in my role as director of the freeholder and management company. One of the flats is being sold, and I am being asked by the buyer's solicitor "is a deed of covenant required" (i.e. to transfer the lease)?

I am competent enough to read the lease, and there is nothing that jumps out immediately to suggest there is such a requirement, but can those better informed suggest (a) what wording I should be looking for or (b) where else such a requirement might lurk?

As a matter of intellectual interest, what would a separate deed of covenant do, and why is one required (or not, as the case might be).

Thanks in anticipation

A

Default Follow up to Deed of Covenant question!

Just doing my own googling...am I right in thinking that Landlord and Tenant (Covenants) Act 1995 means that, on any demise (aka sale!) of a lease by Old Tenant to New Tenant, New Tenant is bound by the terms of the lease, without having to sign a deed of covenant?

If this is so, and the (pre 1995) lease does specifically require a deed of covenant, is it safe to ignore the lease requirement?

A

Two related threads have been merged.
    I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

We write our own.

You wil find that solicitors will have them sign ther own deed, but
    I insist ours is signed.

Our Copy below may be of use to you.

You DO have a copy of ALL the flats leases, don't you ?

THIS LICENCE is made the day of 2013 between:

xxxxMANAGEMENT COMPANY LIMITED of xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ("the Freeholder")

Sellersname
    of Flat x, addresss ("the Lessee")

Buyers name
    ("the Assignee")

WHEREAS
    :-
    This deed is supplemental to the Lease whereby the Landlord demised the Flat to the Term therein defined to the Original Lessee subject to the Lessee’s covenant and conditions therein contained and incorporates the definitions therein

The Lease contains a covenant not to assign the Flat without the written consent of the Landlord and provides that on assignment the Assignee shall enter into a direct covenant with the Landlord to observe and perform the Lessee’s covenants and conditions therein
    The Lease is now vested in the Lessee who wishes to assign his estate and interest therein to the Assignee

PARTICULARS
    :-
    Date
    The Flat x at address as registered at HM Land Registry under title number xxxxx

The Freeholder xxxxxxManagement Company Limited
    The Lessee ( name )
    The Assignee ( name )The Lease dated ( this is the date the firat lease was made for the flat ) and made between (1) (original seller ) (2) (first person to buy flat )

NOW THIS DEED WITNESSETH as follows:-
    The Landlord grants a Licence to the Lessee to assign the Lease to the Assignee for the residue of the term created thereby
    The Licence hereby granted is restricted to the particular assignment hereby authorised and the covenants contained in the Lease against assignment shall otherwise remain in full force and effect

The Assignee hereby covenants with the Landlord that:-
    Following the date of the assignment hereby authorised and thenceforth during the remainder of the term created by the Lease the Assignee will pay the rent and perform and observe the covenants on the part of the Lessee and the conditions therein contained

( This Following para ensures any management agreement to input
    money or increases, prior to sale of flat , are payable by the new owner )

In the event that following the date of the assignment hereby authorised any sum or sums shall properly fall due for payment by the Lessee to the Landlord pursuant to the Lease in respect of any period prior to such date whether by way of rent or otherwise the Assignee shall pay such sum or sums to the Landlord forthwith upon their falling due

This Licence will cease to have effect unless the authorised assignment is completed within three months from its date
    In this Licence words importing the singular shall include the plural and vice versa and where the expression "the Assignee" comprises two or more persons the covenants entered into by them shall be joint and several

SIGNED as a Deed by the said xxxxxxxx
    MANAGEMENT LTD
    acting by a Director and Secretary

SIGNED AND DELIVERED as a
    Deed by the said ( buyers name )
    in the presence of:-
    Witness:-
    Signature

Name

Address

>>> You DO have a copy of ALL the flats leases, don't you ?

Sadly not, and have never managed to track down where they might be (granted back in the 90s, and probably mouldering in some lawyer's safe somewhere). Any ideas where I can obtain copies?

Re the deed of covenant, various sources I am reading (in particular, the Land Registry at

http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/profe...ctice-guide-48

states that "Unless a contrary intention is expressed, there is implied into a transfer of a registered lease that is an old tenancy a covenant by the transferee that during the residue of the term granted by the registered lease the transferee and the transferee’s successors in title will: pay the rent; and comply with the covenants and conditions in the lease (etc.)...which is all we want really.

Given this, is there any harm in NOT having a deed of covenant signed (for example, is the law more general and thus more beneficial)?...or if there is a requirement to have a deed per the lease and we *don't* get one, does the law somehow fall away?

A

Foundation trench for New Shed@ Ham on Rye

Quote Originally Posted by aguila View Post
    One of the flats is being sold, and I am being asked by the buyer's solicitor "is a deed of covenant required" (i.e. to transfer the lease)?
    At which the solicitor deserves a punch in the face for not bothering to read the lease that he is supposed to understand and protect and advise his client. He shouldn't be asking you he should know. this may seem strong but its just laziness and taking someones money and not doing the work.

Now, A , read the lease and look for the word assignment and see what the lease requires, if anything.

You can get copy leases form the land registry.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers. More ramblings atleaseholdpropertymanager.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
    At which the solicitor deserves a punch in the face for not bothering to read the lease that he is supposed to understand
    Hmm, yes, tempting...

The lease seems fairly clear, now I have read it: "on any assignment or transfer and if so required by the Lessor...to procure that the assignee...enters into a direct covenant with the Lessor to pay the rents...perform and observe the covenants...in the form of the draft Deed of Covenant set out in [schedule X"]

...so in fairness to the buyer's lawyer, it does say "if so required by the Lessor"...but begs the question why is this optional and is or isn't it a good idea for the Lessor (i.e. me!) given statute which appears to protect me anyway?

A supplemental question is that the lease was originally entered into by X, a third party from whom at some point the current freeholder (let's call it Aguila Management or AM) bought the freehold and presumably the benefit of the underlying leases? Clearly if we use the form as set out in the lease (which is about one paragraph!) it refers to X, rather than AM?

1) and if so required by the Lessor

2) the lease (which is about one paragraph!) it refers to X, rather than AM?
    1) If the buyer does NOT sign a deed to say he will obey the lease,
    to pay the service charges, to be quiet after 11pm etc, then
    don't be surprised when he says he does not have to pay you any
    service charges, as he made no promises to do so !

You NEED a deed signed, same as mine above or very similar.

2) The transfer of the lease always has the First named instigator
    of the lease on it, and the second name it was tansfered to.
    The lease cannot be changed to read "A.M."

The buyer is purchasing the lease. The lease remains unaltered from
    when it was first sold.
    It's a series of papers, that gets handed over to every new flat
    purchaser. You buy the lease in it's original form, it does not change.

The licence to assign is the only thing that proves the Lease
    ( the bundle of papers ) has been bought by the purchaser.
    The Deed to abide by the lease also shows the lease has changed hands.

The lease is a commodity, an item, and entity, a series of paper
    that pases from one person to another, for a fee.
    You do not buy a flat, you buy the lease ( the bundle of papers ),
    that entitles you to "rent" the allocated rooms in the building, for
    the term stated, and paid in advance ( £ 150,000 )
    ( And on a 900yr remaining term lease, that's £ 13.88 per month rent,
    for 900 years )

Think of the lease as a varnished box. The right to own that box,
    and to take care of that box, and to maintain the box in good
    condition is made legal via a deed, and licence to assign that
    box to someone else. The box does not change, the wording
    on it does not change.
    "Made by Chippendale, sold to Lady Ann Worthington-Smythe."

Same with the lease. It gets transfered to a new owner complete
    with original instigator and first transfered name still written on
    it.
    "Lease sold by Chippendale, sold to Lady Ann Worthington-Smythe"
    but with deed and licence to re-assign sheet attached.

You do not scratch out Chippendale, or Lady Ann Worthington-Smythe"
    and paint over with current sellers and buyers name on the box!
    and not on the lease either.

Hope that helps.
    ( excuse spelling mistakes )

R.a.M.
    Last edited by ram; 24-04-2013 at 10:01 AM. Reason: many points added ( reload for latest )

Thanks, that's very helpful, I will get the Deed!

However, for my intellectual interest, is the new leaseholder not bound by statute/case law in any case (previous ref to Land Registry guidance etc.)...and if not why would the lease make getting a deed at the option of the lessor?

However, for my intellectual interest, is the new leaseholder
    not bound by statute/case law in any case (previous ref to Land Registry guidance etc.)...and if not why would the lease make getting a deed at the option of the lessor?
    I cannot answer that.
    In fact, forget case law, you just need a deed, and not discusions about
    case law, when a deed is all you need.
    No deed ,then no licence to assign to new owner.

Be very carefull though, as here we have had people just move in,
    and
    I never authorised a licence to assign, and solicitors sometimes forget.
    I make sure they never forget me.

You must insist that in your letter to solicitors, that a licence to
    assign, must, be procured from you before completion.
    Also tell them that your charge to answer all questionsand to
    supply the informaton,which can be lots of photocopying, will be
    say, £ 50, and £ 10 per enquiry for any further questions over
    their first 20 to 40 question sheet you will be receiving shortly.

R.a.M.