May, 2017


Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1

    Default HMO = Income from Property or self employment

    I am looking for some feedback on a response I have had from HMRC. A friend has a large house and they have 3 lodgers, which makes them a HMO.
    They need and want to declare the income to HMRC and I would say it should be declared under income from property, but HMRC have said it should be treated as business income.

    This doesnt seem right, its their own home and I have always thought lodgers rent is income from property.

    Has anyone else come across this or did I just find a tax officer who was confused.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008


    Income from property is normally declared on Form SA105 . Download the SA105 notes for completing this form and check if it is correct for your friend.

Similar Threads

  1. Any Self Employment Landlord Tax Advantages
    By TWR in forum Tax Questions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-02-2013, 15:54 PM
  2. what employment status am I
    By oldenn in forum Tax Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-01-2012, 13:52 PM
  3. Self Employment and Property Refurbishment
    By Magsmum in forum Tax Questions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-01-2012, 23:06 PM
  4. Finding T's employment details
    By rich hand in forum Residential Letting Questions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15-07-2011, 18:38 PM
  5. Income tax treatment of property rental income
    By RainMaker in forum Tax Questions
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 04-01-2010, 22:10 PM

Tags for this Thread


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts