LandlordZONE

Nov, 2014

Monday

Default Additional licensing

Hi guys, could anyone help with regards to Additional licence: My property is a 3 story house converted in 5 self contained apartments, in Gool each paying own council tax. 5th apartment is not still finished, I live in 1 apartment, and the other 3 apartments are rented to 3 different people, so in each apartment there is only one household, they do not share any facilities. The council says that I have to fill the forms for additional license of houses of multiple occupation and dont want to explain why. My question is in these circumstances when nobody is sharing facilities do i have to fill these forms for additional licensing when I am not an HMO, and if yes why? Please advice.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by 666misha666 View Post
    Hi guys, could anyone help with regards to Additional licence: My property is a 3 story house converted in 5 self contained apartments, in Gool each paying own council tax. 5th apartment is not still finished, I live in 1 apartment, and the other 3 apartments are rented to 3 different people, so in each apartment there is only one household, they do not share any facilities. The council says that I have to fill the forms for additional license of houses of multiple occupation and dont want to explain why. My question is in these circumstances when nobody is sharing facilities do i have to fill these forms for additional licensing when I am not an HMO, and if yes why? Please advice.

Regards
    It can still be a HMO without any shared facilities.
    When was the building converted?

Additional HMO licensing can be introduced by councils as long as it is carried out under the directions given in the Housing Act 2004.

Buildings converted entirely into self contained flats can still be HMO's as identified by the previous post, but I think you are thinking of Mandatory HMO licensing where there would be some type of sharing of an amenity.

The building as described would be exempt from mandatory licensing. But if your LA has introduced additional licensing (which it sounds like it has) that applies to your building, you will have to comply. They should be able to explain why though.

Quote Originally Posted by DNM2012 View Post
    It can still be a HMO without any shared facilities.
    When was the building converted?

Hi thank you for you reply, the building was converted in 1998.

Quote Originally Posted by 666misha666 View Post
    Hi thank you for you reply, the building was converted in 1998.
    The definition of HMO you fall into is-

A converted building consisting entirely of self-contained
    flats, where the building work undertaken in connection with the
    conversion did not comply with the 1991 Building Regulations and
    more than one third of the flats are occupied under short
    tenancies.

So unless the building complies with the 1991 building regulations it is a HMO as above, and as your LA has brought in additional licensing for HMO it needs a licence.

Someone a bit more knowledgeable on building regs might be able to help more.