LandlordZONE

Apr, 2014

Thursday

Default Unpaid Housing Benefit

Hello

I am trying to help someone with a housing issue, the person is long term unemployed and has been signing on.
    Apparently, for some reason, he was a 'clerical claim' and not on the system (and this happens to lots of people I am told). He got put onto a workplacements programme and since then his rent was not paid for about 8 weeks.

As you can imagine, he is now facing eviction with court dates set. Housing Benefit are saying his claim was closed down, the person has said he went to his work placement, only to be told 'he wasn't booked in'. He then went back to the job centre and signed your paperwork. However, this person has mislaid his proof of signing on 'but maintains he has'. The job centre state he hasn't signed on because it doesn't show on their system.

How can he obtain proof that he has physically signed on. There is CCTV at the place. Can he request information under data protection? Is there anything that can be done?

Sorry if this is long winded - I'd really like to help this person and would be grateful for any advice.

Even though he was sanctioned, he still should be able to make a statement to the housing benefit department that he had "nil" income for the period in question. They should then still pay his HB. His JSA is another matter.

What grounds have the court case been set for?
    Has he got a current claim for housing benefit?
    Stalkers, please go over this comment with a fine tooth comb.

Quote Originally Posted by thesaint View Post
    Even though he was sanctioned, he still should be able to make a statement to the housing benefit department that he had "nil" income for the period in question. They should then still pay his HB. His JSA is another matter.

What grounds have the court case been set for?
    Has he got a current claim for housing benefit?
    Housing benefit is being paid now but they are still disputing the arrears as the housing benefit won't release the payment to the housing association until they can confirm he has signed on.

S8 - unpaid rent.

I would escalate it at the housing benefit department.

I asked what "grounds" have the court case been set for; i.e 8, 10 & 11?
    Stalkers, please go over this comment with a fine tooth comb.

Sorry, I don't know the answer. I'll post back when I find out.

The person now has proof of signing on. I will be going with the person on Thursday to his next sign on and then will be taking him to his housing benefit department (wherever that is!). The person has learning difficulties so I'm trying to help out.

When I get to the housing department - how do I get urgent help - is there a head of dept that I should ask for? I plan to take the proof of unemployment and the court papers to proove the urgency of the matter.

I also plan to take a letter, signed by the tenant, giving permission for me to liaise on his behalf - is this acceptable?