LandlordZONE

Oct, 2014

Thursday

Default ground rent management software

Hi,

Im new on this forum having purchased a few ground rents for investment purposes.

I have a problem now in finding a good software that makes management of ground rent easy.

I have seen many of the software options online, but they are for AST's, estate agents .etc.

Nothing for freehold owners.
    Can someone recommend something that is not too expensive as I have only purchased 3 freeholds so far.

Foundation trench for New Shed@ Ham on Rye

just do your own on excel or access, or the freeware alternatives in open office or libreoffice.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers. More ramblings atleaseholdpropertymanager.blogspot.com

I am looking to expand within the year, if my portfolio was bigger what software would you recommend with this purpose?

That automatically creates rent invoices .etc

Even if you get into the early 0,000s a DB system is easily crafted in an afternoon. Even fully automated requires you to manually ask it to, as all a DB system is extract information that you enter into it, and put into a word document for the bill.

Bluntly when you enter in the information, it is as quick to enter that into a word template for the invoice, and issue those as required, all you do is re date it every period. The only advantage is then automated reports, which if the ledger is in excel you can to with charts and bars, ) or with access it does it all at the same time) or add on bank account links which automatically update the ledger- that's expensive.

Seriously it's no more work to do it this way.

If you go shopping for ground rent and service charge systems you'll find yourself with ground rent software but you are looking at 4 figures and up, or find a software company that will build you something.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers. More ramblings atleaseholdpropertymanager.blogspot.com

I've been wondering the same thing as the OP.

I am pretty good on Excel, so I'd have no problem building a workbook myself (I've done a very good job with the one for the AST's).

The only problem is, I don't know enough about ground rent investments to know how a workbook for this type of work should be structured.

LHA, can you give us noobs a few useful pointers?

If you have an AST system then all you are doing is altering the rent and period due, and put in longer review dates.

If you are in 100's Access or the free alternatives are good,as, as you will see on commercial systems the data entry is as laborious and the filtering and application into the reports and invoices relatively simple.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/ac...005187442.aspx
    or buy a dummies guide.

Start with one block of say 5 and try it. After that its just a case of adding more records

Aaaargh, ACCESS!!

I am a wizard on Excel, but I never bothered to learn Access!

Try this

http://www.quackit.com/microsoft_access/tutorial/

or this with importing information already in Excel

trick is to read the office guidance to work out what you want, then try the above with say five properties and play around.

Our retirement portfolio runs on this (2003) version while our business is on a custom system developed from Access and runs over " a lot" of units, resi commercial and ASTs. It makes integration into word and excel very very easy for reports.

Oh, WOW, thanks LHA. That site looks just like the thing I need!