LandlordZONE

Dec, 2014

Monday

Question Starting new job but what about tax & benifits

Okay well this is going to be my situation next week.

Apprenticeship @ 34hours/£8.55 hour = £290.70 weekly
    After tax around £245 i think.

THEN I PAY

1 Bedroom council flat rent weekly = £104.
    Yearly Council Tax = £1,127.64 & ​£845.73 After 25% Single Person Discount.

So £845 divide by 52weeks = £16.25
    £104 rent + £16.25 tax = £120.25 a week

Just wondering as I'm 22 and doing a 1 year apprenticeship does this help towards housing benefit or being taxed less ?

So after travel I'll have around £105 for myself if the above is correct.

Many Thanks

I don't think you're entitled to any help. Possibly there would be a council tax discount if you are on an apprenticeship, you would have to ask your council about that.

But in any case, you would be doing better than a lot of people, be happy with that, and spend your £105 wisely.

Because we are private landlords, we mainly know about LHA which is what private tenants are paid by the council. Council tenants get a different kind of benefit called (believe it or not) Housing Benefit.

If you were a private tenant, I am going to guess you would need to pay around twice as much for a similar property (not knowing where you are in the country). In that case, you would get around £55 a week LHA. However, the council rent is already subsidised by more than that, so the chances are you will not be entitled to anything.

I would like to congratulate you on getting an apprenticeship at such a good wage, the competition must be huge? And, of course, you will (after all expenses) be considerably better off than if you'd been on state benefits.

Good luck.

Cheers buddy, in fact I've been offered two apprentice roles @ the same wages.

HR Assistant and Property Admin!
    Tomorrow I'm going to choose my career, And of course I'm better off around £25 better as I was on carers allowance £58 & Income support £30 a week and only paying £4 rent!

1 bed flat in London with a balcony on a really nice posh estate in islington, I'm so lucky to get the house and you never know could get a pay rise one day and maybe share go half with a girlfriend so it would only £50 a week secretly. But at the moment I need a career.

I don't think your apprentice role is the same as what most readers would assume. £8.55 an hour is an incredibly good wage for an apprentice.

I have a nephew up north who is an apprentice chef - and on something like £2.00 per hour. Hairdressers usually have a 3 year apprentice and the rates start off about £2.00 per hour too. The bigger money comes at the end of the apprenticeship.

You are very lucky to have got your own accommodation - there is a chronic housing crisis going on.

PS - you may still be able to keep your carers allowance. I understand your earnings after 'allowable expenses' can't be more than £100. Not sure what the allowable expenses are though.

Hmm that's a good point but I'm 100% sure I read before if you earn over £100 in wages after tax you can't claim, I know when after all my bills have been paid I'm around the £100 mark maybe less if i was to travel via tube but they'd surely see me as getting £245 after tax not after bills.

Another thing is If i was to claim carers, income and housing benifit for the first month of work and then tell them I just started after getting my first months wages without telling them, how would I get caught lol ?

I have two bank accounts as well which could help I think. Sounds bad I know but my parents have never had any money to help me as they've slaved 40+ years paying tax after tax & rent! So I think I deserve just this once as my house needs a serious refurb.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnylondon View Post
    Another thing is If i was to claim carers, income and housing benifit for the first month of work and then tell them I just started after getting my first months wages without telling them, how would I get caught lol ?
    Oh you are naive.

They ask for proof when you tell them of a change in circumstances.

And if you don't provide it now, if you ever need something from the council in future, you can be sure they will want your proof from this occasion well before they give you any more money.

You shouldn't do it regardless, it's fraud. You're doing alright apparently, don't be an idiot now.
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnylondon View Post
    Sounds bad I know but my parents have never had any money to help me as they've slaved 40+ years paying tax after tax & rent!
    That is the situation a lot of young people have, your circumstances are nothing special.

Just be happy you have such a good apprenticeship and don't commit fraud!

You may qualify for 4 weeks extra housing benefit. Ask your council.