LandlordZONE

Jul, 2014

Wednesday

Default Council want to change my front door

I have exact same problem I got mortgage on my flat in a council owned block. Three doors to the communal stairwell (inc mine) I bought a new upvc door from council who supplied and fitted it back in 2006. Back last year they contacted me to say they needed to fit all new front doors and as I had bought mine from them (was buying it at time re monthly payments) they would give me this new one free of charge. I declined saying I like the one I had. Now they saying if my door does not meet regs, they will force me to buy new one from them and I know they cost £1000.00. I don't want a new door, I can't afford a new door ( lost job last year) and I am shocked to think anyone can force me to do this. Any advice would be most grateful. Ps am new to this forum so I hope it's easy to find any posts in reply. I am happy if someone wants to private message me.

Didn't they say the new door would be free? What's the problem?

Foundation trench for New Shed@ Ham on Rye

Is it your door, your lease will say. if it is yours, then unless it is in disrepair, then they cannot take any action. Once again decent homes monies being unwisely spent. That JKO is the problem.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers. More ramblings atleaseholdpropertymanager.blogspot.com

Im sure there was a very similar LVT (or higher) case about a front door recently.
    Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Foundation trench for New Shed@ Ham on Rye

I am sure that they said something daft like as it's public money they are perfectly entitled to waste it and recharge you.

Are you thinking of the windows case? Bad LVT how dare you got to site and trip over perfectly good wooden windows and factor that into your decisions.

A colleague "in the trade" has given up any LVT panel appointments as a result.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers. More ramblings atleaseholdpropertymanager.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
    That JKO is the problem.
    Yes, many have felt I am the problem.

Take a photograph of your door in excellent condition and make a complaint with photo to your local MP and local councillor and Town Mayor if any ?