LandlordZONE

Jul, 2014

Wednesday

Default Help reading a title register for a leasehold property

Hi I was hoping someone could offer some advice.

I have recently been looking for a buy to let property and have come across a maisonetter I really like. The lease is 999 years from 1959 years which is great. However next to rent it has £3292.10.0 . Now this seems extraordinarily high particularly as the lease was agreed from 1959. There is also another statement a little further down that reads: The rent is in the Lease apportioned as to £15 to each maisonette, as to £20 to each house, as to £30 to each shop and as to £2.10.0. to each garage.

I wonder if anyone could tell me if the ground rent is £3292 per year or am I totally off with my interpretations.

Many thanks

No, I think the £3292.10.0 was probably the 1959 purchase price.

I suspect the leasehold title originally covered many properties
    In the area hence the reference to apportionment.

Do not have a crystal ball but suspect the reference to £15 is for the ground rent for your lease.

You need to read the actual lease as opposed to the official copies of the title.

Any reference to land being removed from title that is normally a big clue.

Do not disagree with JKO that price around that period could well have been around that price however price paid details when displayed are normally a lot clearer and not in that section of register.

Not showing my age but that sounds very much like pounds, shillings and pence.

thanks for the reply guys. Is there any rules against me posting the title deeds up? Just thought it would be a lot easier for everyone to be able to have an actual look at what I have.

As Alexlandlord mentions you need to check the actual lease itself for a wider understanding. Whether the original demise remains the same is also important.

The details of the original lease as shown in the A Property register are designed to provide the basic details as contained therein when the lease was first registered. They essentially enable you to ensure that you can match the actual lease to the title i.e. the register will refer to the date, term, original parties and historically the rent as stated. The rent is no longer referred to when registering more modern leases.

The apportionment appears to be the crucial aspect as this seems likely to relate to how the rent has been split on the sale of part of the leasehold land - later register entries may make this clear although presumably the seller or Estate Agent can clarify for you?

Due to the age of the lease then as Claymore states the figure will be pounds, shillings and pence

This could well be a headleasehold title for a larger area and each maisonette may have its own individual leasehold title.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful (provided it relates to property in England & Wales) but I accept no liability except to fee-paying clients.