LandlordZONE

Oct, 2014

Saturday

Default Disputing Service Charge/Major Works - Am I over reacting?

I bought a leasehold flat 7 years ago and have been paying crazy fees to Hounslow Council ever since. I always dispute the bills via email or by telephone, but end up paying just because I do not have the time or energy to fight them. I have now had enough. I knew I was not moving into a palace but The condition of the property is deteriorating each year.

My service charge account is now £450 in arrears and the Major Works bill is £550 in arrears. I am currently disputing both as I see little evidence of the works they claim to do.

Service Charge
    The cleanliness at the flats is poor especially near the communal entrance (litter, urine etc)
    There are no bins provided to the flats for refuse causing pest control issues
    The caretaker was taking the rubbish bags down on a Wednesday morning (this stopped about 4 months ago). The bags would then sit there for 24 hours until the bin men collect on a Thursday. A mountain of rubbish which never entirely disappears (fly tipping).

Major Works
    I was charged £700 for some very small jobs (which | see very little evidence of) when there are much more serious issues for the external decorating team to worry about.

I have contacted the council with these queries and maybe it is a coincidence but I now have no signal to my front room TV from the communal Aerial?

For some reason I cannot upload the pictures but am happy to email them. Am I over reacting? If not, what is the best course of action to take?

Its time you sold and move to better flat.

How useful that information is to me?

If me selling and moving were an option it would have been done. Now I am making the most of what I have, which is a beautiful flat in an awful building.

You don't always have to post, especially if it is not really constructive

Foundation trench for New Shed@ Ham on Rye

You should set out your concerns and your suggestions and desired outcome, editing out the moan to one overall one.

Do quote the applicable standard http://www.hounslowhomes.org.uk/caretaking

Use their formal complaint procedure to get an answer.

http://www.hounslowhomes.org.uk/comments_and_complaints
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers. More ramblings atleaseholdpropertymanager.blogspot.com