LandlordZONE

Apr, 2014

Sunday

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is this legal?

Quote Originally Posted by laila View Post
    I am just curious if PM can take your car and crush it legally?
    They cannot damage the car, but technically they could arrange to have it towed away. Where to and at what cost, who knows?

Police won't be interested unless the car is causing an obstruction, if untaxed report to DVLA, abandoned call the local council.

This is another example of your PM going about things in a heavy handed way that obviously will rub people up the wrong way. But if the car is moved and the space free then job done.

Quote Originally Posted by DNM2012 View Post
    but technically they could arrange to have it towed away. Where to and at what cost, who knows?
    Sorry must correct myself, since 1 October 2012 the worst they can do is issue a parking charge notice.

Sorry must correct myself, since 1 October 2012 the worst they can do is issue a parking charge notice.
    Since Oct 2012, they can go through the statutory process for abandoned cars, which used not to be available as remedy on private land, but now is.

But that is long winded, time consuming and potentially costly (especially if the owner responds to you with "no it's not abandoned, I've parked it there".

It certainly isn't something that you can do by "tomorrow".

Foundation trench for New Shed@ Ham on Rye

The owner or anyone with a contract for the space, can remove a car at any time, however they are open to a claim for damages physical and civil in doing so. As they cannot tow it away, leaving in another space or area may put them in breach of the lease.They certainly cannot destroy it or have the LA destroy it except where the right circumstances apply.

http://www.arma.org.uk/doc/public/LA...ing-Issues.pdf

If it ain't yours, don't park in it. If the space is your then subject to the terms on which you occupy or own the space consider erecting a simple post/barrier.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers. More ramblings atleaseholdpropertymanager.blogspot.com

This has fascinated me since it came in.

What is stopping me parking on a random private drive in the London suburbs, and taking the Underground to the Centre, if I am willing to ignore the householder?

In the case of the flat above, perhaps what the PM need to do is simply to drop the car on the nearest Double Yellow with their crane.

ML
    Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Quote Originally Posted by midlandslandlord View Post

What is stopping me parking on a random private drive in the London suburbs, and taking the Underground to the Centre, if I am willing to ignore the householder?
    Nothing!

As long as the householder is a law abiding citizen, that checks the legal situation before acting.

Of course you might park on the driveway of the local headcase, who interprets the law slightly differently!