LandlordZONE

Aug, 2014

Thursday

Default balanced& realistic view T left on 11th hour after judgement keys not back no comms

All,

Sometime ago T had section 8 made against. T moved out on last day allowed by judge according to others in the house (HMO). Apparently others in house have entered room (normally locked from outside)to see the state it has been left in.

T has left with a substantial amount of money owing 6k for rent and I do not want to have to wait for another 6weeks for CC bailiffs to attend if can be avoided. Other T's have told me that a family member moved his possessions out. Had previously offered deed of surrender at a reduced rate so T well aware of what is required but is ignorant.

T has been unable to communicate since it all went bad so didn't really expect for him to tell me when gone but thought he may be interested in going sooner rather than latter as judge gave in favour and at an increased rate per day as part of the judgement. In theory I could wait for the 6weeks and capitalise on the increased rate but more interested in getting some money coming in.

Will ask the questions on how I chase the money (T works) via a different thread.

Should I send a txt notifying my intentions of going into unlocked room or am I safe to enter and re let given implied surrender (left on last day after judgement and room left unlocked). There is an abandonment clause within contract.

I do appreciate that the only sure fire way is via CC bailiffs but would hope common sense prevails?

hopefully this has come out ok as on mobile device and formatting gone funny so apologies

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydo View Post

T has left with a substantial amount of money owing 6k for rent and I do not want to have to wait for another 6weeks for CC bailiffs to attend if can be avoided.

In theory I could wait for the 6weeks and capitalise on the increased rate but more interested in getting some money coming in.
    Yeah, good luck with that.
    Just get the room rented out as soon as possible. Forget paying for bailiffs.
    Stalkers, please go over this comment with a fine tooth comb.

Will ask the questions on how I chase the money (T works) via a different thread.
    Please stick with this thread, it is better if you keep all relevant information (even if you think it might not be relevant) in one thread, this helps the forum members to give you better advice.
    I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

How about this, send a txt message to T saying inspection of room will be carried out in 24hrs. Take a witness with and enter room to find all personal effects gone just to further try to protect against further claim

Send a letter from a Post Office and obtain a free certificate of posting.
    Stalkers, please go over this comment with a fine tooth comb.

To speed this along I guess a form n215 is fine. Certificate of service?

T has gone served the n215 yesterday giving 24hrs for inspection. Notice had not been picked up and opened unlocked door to find everything gone Ie all clothes and personal effects such as photos etc. Room had been tidied to a reasonable standard, 1 stain on carpet and walls requiring a paint. Key was also left on the side.

Now I need to give chase to the money owed, lodge the CCJ on his record and anything else that you guys can suggest. Have read that I could have upto 12 years to chase the money. T is working as well.

Also need to get deposit back to me on account of money owed, contract does state that Deposit cannot be used for rent. but not claiming it for rent claining for rental arrears

I strongly suspect your contract says the tenant can not use it for rent - that doesn't bind you.

These are your enforcement options - it says 'small claims court' but they are the same for a section 8 money order http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010...force-judgment Each option costs £100, which is added to the amount the tenant owes you.