LandlordZONE

Jul, 2014

Monday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tenant History Database

Evening guys,

Just wondering if anyone is now using a tenant history database service such as what is being advertised in this months Landlord and BTL magazine?

Seems like a good idea if everyone bothered to do it...

Sorry if this has already been asked, did a quick search but didn't show any other recent threads.

Thanks

This is a bit of a perennial one on many sites but I think it maybe against data protection and/or human rights laws to put a person's name on such a list.
    I am not aware that anyone has started one - have a go Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Interlaken View Post
    I am not aware that anyone has started one
    Actually I've come across quite a few of these over the past few months; no idea whether anyone's using them or if they work. Presumably any effectiveness is greatly weakened if there are lots in circulation, as opposed to one 'central' one.

Yes, there is one called Landlord Referencing.co.uk which sends updated as soon as a new tenant is registered in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by kerbut View Post
    Yes, there is one called --- which sends updated as soon as a new tenant is registered in your area.
    I don't see the point at all apart from indeed bringing trouble onto themselves.
    ⊂ Unsuitable for nut allergy sufferers ⊃

Experian are integrating tenancy performance into their credit referencing system.

see:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012...s-credit-files

Just to be clear, I don't agree with databases such as Experian's that unilaterally share personal data and dish out extra judicial punishment.

Surely they violate the human right to a fair trial (article 6) if your ability to access credit can be ruined by a credit referencing agency without any hearing in a recognised court?

However, with so much stacked against landlords, and so little incentive for tenants to keep to their obligations, it would encourage some tenants to pay on time if their credit rating was at risk. The upside for the tenant is that they could grow a better credit score by being a good tenant.

Whilst there are baddies out there, it is a testament to tenants that most do actually keep to their side of the bargain out of good will, even without much legal deterrent. Most are honest and that should be encouraged ethically.

That only works of course for tenants who have rented previously. For most students and other first time renters, it's meaningless.

Plus, I wouldn't trust the organisers of such databases to keep the info confidential or even accurate.
    How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive? Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by bureaucrazy View Post
    Experian are integrating tenancy performance into their credit referencing system.
    see:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012...s-credit-files
    In principle I like the idea that I can report a non-paying tenant somewhere "official" and that I can benefit from this reciprocally. It does annoy me that a tenant debtor can run up serial debts on tenancies without affecting his credit record.

However I'm not seeing how the system is going to function, especially with no central registration of tenancies/landlords etc? Do I, as a member of the public and landlord, contact Experian and just tell them that XYZ tenant has just absconded without paying the rent? (even if actually he hasn't, and I just bear a grudge?) "If there is a genuine dispute over a missed rent payment Experian said the information would not appear on a tenant's record until it was resolved." How does the tenant (who's vanished and is uncontactable anyway) get the right of reply before he gets the black mark on his record and finds himself being rejected for tenancies? To fulfil this properly, Experian would need to seek verification from every tenant on whom they receive a bad report, before they can add it to their records.

"Experian will have its work cut out to access data on every tenant in the country because of the sheer number of lettings agencies and amateur landlords across the country. "It's going to keep us busy," an agency spokesman said" - well they said it... the amount of work this could generate (and should generate, if it's going to work) is absolutely massive, with all the millions of ongoing tenancies, of which apparently 10.7% are in arrears. Probably why, almost a year on from the above press release, we've yet to hear any more about this?

Quote Originally Posted by mind the gap View Post
    That only works of course for tenants who have rented previously. For most students and other first time renters, it's meaningless.
    But the purpose is evidently to flag up people who've defaulted on their rent, which as first-timers these people won't have had the opportunity to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericthelobster View Post
    It does annoy me that a tenant debtor can run up serial debts on tenancies without affecting his credit record.
    CCJs do affect credit score.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericthelobster View Post
    Do I, as a member of the public and landlord, contact Experian and just tell them that XYZ tenant has just absconded without paying the rent? (even if actually he hasn't, and I just bear a grudge?)
    This was discussed on MoneySavingExpert, including with an Experian representative: Letting agent and landlords who sign up will share the info with Experian.
    Which raises so many red flags that as a tenant I would be extremely worried.

Now, Experian claims that credit score won't be directly affected as rent-related data will be kept separate.
    ⊂ Unsuitable for nut allergy sufferers ⊃

I hope the Experian one takes off the ground, but a year on, and there's not much sign of it happening anytime soon.

At present, only CCJ's show on a credit report for tenants debts. This is not the same as other debts which show as current/late etc.

http://www.experian.co.uk/rental-exchange/index.html
    Stalkers, please go over this comment with a fine tooth comb.