LandlordZONE

Aug, 2014

Wednesday

Default Property Rental and some 50/50 questions

Hi All,

I just wanted to catch the opinion of others.

The area is one that is ripe for regeneration, and I predict decent growth later. Anyway the house in question does look a big dated inside, but there are some debatable aspects to it.

Living rooms: good quality carpets, old style ones but they are heavy, hard wearing and good quality ones. We have wallpaper on the walls and it looks quite dated, but in OK condition in the first reception.
    Builder says, if he were to plaster the room the carpet will be dirty.

Reception2: Wallpaper is bad, and not worth replacing just skim the wall with new plaster

Room1: Stripped wooden floor, Carpet or Laminate, 1930’s door handles

Room2: Dated wallpaper, dirty carpet. Replace carpet or laminate ?

Room3: Laminated already
    Bathroom: Black old school tiling, and loose linyl flooring (Still usable but just looks dated). Tile and replace whole suite ?
    Toilet: Separate room, old linyl flooring (Tile and replace WC ?)

I'm also thinking of letting as a 4 bedroom with 1 of the receptions being used as a bedroom. IS this the norm ?

I personally think that wooden floors in bed-rooms are a silly idea. Always have, still do!

Do you mean let it out to 4 individual tenants (each on their own contract) with one in a ground floor bedroom - OK

or

furnish a ground floor room as a bed room and then market to a family as a 4-bed- IMHO not OK

tim

Quote Originally Posted by tim123456789 View Post
    I personally think that wooden floors in bed-rooms are a silly idea. Always have, still do!

Do you mean let it out to 4 individual tenants (each on their own contract) with one in a ground floor bedroom - OK

or

furnish a ground floor room as a bed room and then market to a family as a 4-bed- IMHO not OK

tim
    Whats wrong with laminate floor in a bedroom, I know it can come across as cold but from my perspective, I dont want to be changing carpets or having to go through the hassle of arguing on what is fair wear & tear and what is a case of a damage/stain to carpets.

Quote Originally Posted by platforminc View Post
    Whats wrong with laminate floor in a bedroom, I know it can come across as cold but from my perspective, I dont want to be changing carpets or having to go through the hassle of arguing on what is fair wear & tear and what is a case of a damage/stain to carpets.
    Laminate wears and looks awful, or do you mean linoleum (not sure why you'd want that in a bedroom though!) Would you not have a similar argument when the laminate gets scratched or dented?
    The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the salient facts BSc (Hons)

No I mean proper wood laminate flooring.
    From experience, its easy to maintain and looks good once its cleaned etc.

The Lino i was referring to is whats in the bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by platforminc View Post
    Because, ISTM that you will have far more arguements over fair wear and tear with a wooden floow.

Depressions in a carpet because tenants have moved furniture around the room are accepted as W&T because the pile shape can be recovered (even if not a worthwhile exercise).

Try the same thing on a wooden floor and you will leave a scratch or even a depression which cannot be recoved so is technically damage.

But it's the same usage that has created it so T will be annoyed that you claim it is damage.

If you put laminate in bedrooms is a shared house there is always noise, even if you put that green stuff underneath. I always put carpets, and in HMOs will now be using carpet tiles as a small area where gf burns hole through to floorboards or T melts an iron shape, can be replaced.

Laminate does wear but it takes ages, unless T drops weights on it.

I think I'd update the décor if I were you. It sounds dowdy and old. Not very inviting.

I agree with Berlingogirl.

Except for at the very bottom end of the market, tenants are no longer happy to live in properties which their grandparents would have put up with.

Good quality laminate will wear better than cheap carpets and can be improved with rugs. Better for asthmatics too.
    How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive? Homer Simpson