LandlordZONE

Oct, 2014

Saturday

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Convert to HMO

However, agree that contracts for LHA tenants will 99% of the time be on separate ASTs and not on a joint and several contract for the whole house. Such a contract suits the student market.

Make sure you check the mortgage for letting the property on a room by room basis. They are harder to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlash View Post
    That statement depends on the AST structure. If you let the whole HMO on a joint and several contract then a single license will cover the whole house. Separate ASTs for each room will mean that separate TV licences would be required.
    Correct, useful precision. I was assuming separate ASTs.
    ⊂ Unsuitable for nut allergy sufferers ⊃

I'd say porcelain tiles on the floor wherever you can.

And fit a "Surestop" on the water supply with a switch *above* the worktop.

Read HMOLandlady's book.

She actually gets away with CCTV in the common parts.

"CCTV has been installed in the other house and there’s been a few feathers ruffled. The main issue seems to be that the boys thought I’d have the system linked to my home computer and would spend a girls’ night in watching them walking up and down the hallways in their pants. They’ve been assured that there are easier and more pleasurable ways to search the internet for men in pants and the footage is only stored on the recorder locked in the cellar. However, capturing one of them trying to get in the house after a night out then falling asleep on the stairs may just be worth a post on YouTube……

Huddled in the cellar, the engineer was showing me how to operate the monitor and recorder. Tom had obviously forgotten the role of the cameras and heard us talking - the cameras duly picked him up sitting down with his ear to the stair tread trying to listen to our conversation. A very, very funny moment."
    http://hmolandlady.wordpress.com/201...heres-trouble/

ML
    Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlash View Post
    Very related point... You don't have any problems with Article 4 compliance in your area do you?
    Thanks all for the info. Re: "hot-knifing": I'd rather hoped I could somehow avoid druggies and the true lowlifes.

Article 4 compliance??? Not sure I know what Article 4 is? I googled and it returned the European Convention of Human Rights, Article 4 bans slavery and enforced labour. Not sure the tenants will be too familiar with labour, forced or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by jonthemon View Post

Article 4 compliance??? Not sure I know what Article 4 is?
    Article 4 direction.

Have your local authority introduced an article 4 direction that restricts permitted development of HMO properties with between 3-6 occupants. If so you need planning consent for a HMO with more than 3 occupants.
    Also check if selective licensing of HMO's applies in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by midlandslandlord View Post
    I'd say porcelain tiles on the floor wherever you can.

And fit a "Surestop" on the water supply with a switch *above* the worktop.

Read HMOLandlady's book.

She actually gets away with CCTV in the common parts.

http://hmolandlady.wordpress.com/201...heres-trouble/

ML
    HMO Landlady - thanks!! Most excellent blog. Scary though. I'm moving towards a standard family AST as I don't want to spend my time sorting out the lives of druggies, alcoholics, crims etc.

Shocking really, because the income difference is colossal. Still, I'd rather sleep at night....

Thanks re the Article 4 thing. I believe that Liverpool is in the process of introducing licenses, however my proposed HMO is 4 (or possibly 5) rooms, let to individuals over 2 storeys and the HMO license requirements are currently 5 individuals over 3 storeys and its most clear on the liverpool council website that the property has to be both criteria to require a licence.

Things change, and licensing and regulation is on the government agenda which I don't really have an issue with (unless the costs for registration\regulation become onerous).
    Last edited by jonthemon; 05-02-2013 at 19:30 PM. Reason: update on re-reading

Quote Originally Posted by jonthemon View Post
    HMO Landlady - thanks!! Most excellent blog. Scary though. I'm moving towards a standard family AST as I don't want to spend my time sorting out the lives of druggies, alcoholics, crims etc.

Shocking really, because the income difference is colossal. Still, I'd rather sleep at night....

Thanks re the Article 4 thing. I believe that Liverpool is in the process of introducing licenses, however my proposed HMO is 4 (or possibly 5) rooms, let to individuals over 2 storeys and the HMO license requirements are currently 5 individuals over 3 storeys and its most clear on the liverpool council website that the property has to be both criteria to require a licence.

Things change, and licensing and regulation is on the government agenda which I don't really have an issue with (unless the costs for registration\regulation become onerous).
    You're making a basic HMO error here.

Licensing is not Planning - They are two distinct things.

See here, this should help explain... I would encourage you to read and digest in full as well as pay particular attention to the section called Planning Permission? "But I don't need a licence?"

http://www.comfortlettings.co.uk/blo...ple-occupation
    I can take no responsibility for the use of any free comments given, any actions taken are the sole decision of the individual in question after consideration of my free comments.

That also means I cannot share in any profits from any decisions made!

OK, its a two part process then (at least...) I don't see any notes on the web re Council taking the Article 4 route will deffo check before opening.

The apparent certainty of dealing with multiple repeated issues\damage tenant arrears etc leads me to think I'd be better off with a standard single AST, possibly after the financial issues are properly comapred I wouldn't be much worse off, at least at first as I get used to the area and maybe build a bigger portfolio.

thanks all for the input.