LandlordZONE

Jul, 2014

Tuesday

Default Extended Permitted Deveopment Rights timetable

Does any members know when (or the time table) for the extended Permitted Development (PD) Rights that was announced last year will come into effect? I have a house and would like to build a single storey rear extension right up to the neighbouring party wall (3.5m). I know that under the previous PD I am allowed 3m leaving a 0.5m gap which is pretty useless hence why wanted to know when the new PD rights will come in so I can go all 3.5m?

Looks like this extended PD rights may never happen with this Coalition Government.

Do you mean extending 3.5m from your rear elevation or 3.5m wide / across the extension?

If it's the latter then you can already do that under PD rights.
    There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

It is actually the former - extension 3.5 from rear elevation.
    Do we have any Planner/Architech on this forum who may know the PD timetable?

It's not happening anytime soon [if at all].

If your neighbour has already extended 3.5m from the rear, then I'd just apply for Planning Consent for a 3.5m deep extension to mirror their's.

Technically, PD rights don't extend to Party Wall works - that is you have no PD rights to raise or enclose in on a Party Wall. In reality enforcement action would be highly unlikely if the parties to the Party Wall agreed to the works.
    There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Thanks mk1fan.
    The property is in a conservation area and we are thinking of converting the Loft space into a bedroom under PD - Class B but unsure whether our PD rights are removed as result of being in a Conservation Area.
    I was told that if you live under a conservation area it does not mean that your permitted development rights are removed. If the council wish to restrict the PD rights they need to add the conservation area under Article 4 Direction. My street is NOT listed there so I guess PD rights is still applicable.
    However having read the guideline specifically under B1(e) which saids.
    If the dwellinghouse is on article 1(5) land
    In National Parks, the Broads, areas of outstanding natural beauty, conservation areas, and land within World Heritage Sites, roof extensions are not permitted development and will require an application for planning permission.
    So I am confused as Street is not restricted but B1 (e) implied that it is restricted. DO I NEED PLANNING for the LOFT CONVERSION?
    Thanks so much in advance for any comments on this.

Don't know the specifics for your area but I live in an AONB and our PD rights are modified by it. In general terms it reduces the size of extensions, outbuildings etc that can be built without permission. For our loft conversion the exterior appearance of the house cannot be altered without permission (so dormers are out) and it limits the size and number of loft windows that can be added (to the unseen side of building only) - without planning permission (but still requiring building regs obviously). If you are in a conservation area there must be a document covering it, call the council if you can't find one they have a duty to supply you with the imformation.
    caveat emptor
    If it sounds like I know what I am talking about........I don't.