LandlordZONE

Jul, 2014

Thursday

Default Section 21 please help ASAP

Hi today i have letter from my landlord dated 21 january he want me to leave by 17 of April 2013. My contract finishing 18 if feb 2012. my question is can i leave early? like end of tenancy? 17 of feb? As my landlord tellin me i need to pay him one more rent from 18 feb to 18 march but as he want me to go what i can do? i want to leave early ASAP as fing new place. Once again my fixed 12 month contract finish 18 feb 2013 so please advice what i can do? Regards

Quote Originally Posted by kerad84 View Post
    Once again my fixed 12 month contract finish 18 feb 2013 so please advice what i can do? Regards
    If your fixed term AST comes to an end on 18 February 2013, you can move out on or before this date and the contract you have with your landlord comes to an end. You do not need to give your landlord notice to this effect, but it would be prudent to let them know that you intend moving out at the end of the contractual period. They may need to arrange an inventory clerk and check out process. This will speed up the return of your deposit and let your landlord know that he has to start the process of repaying it.

If you remain in the property, even for a day beyond the last day, a periodic tenancy is automatically created and you would have to continue paying rent, give one months notice, or move out on the date specified in the Sec21.
    I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, solicitor or judge. It is simply my experience of being a landlord and what I have learnt along the way. I make no warranty for my opinion.

You can leave on the last day of your fixed term contract without notice, but it is a good idea to inform your LL of your intentions as soon as you are certain you will be leaving then.

Make sure you are certain of the end date you have quoted both the 17 and 18 Feb.

Reading back on your post it would appear that your tenancy runs from the 18th of a month to the 17th of a month. So you would need to move out no later than 17 February in order to avoid a periodic tenancy agreement and another rent payment.
    I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, solicitor or judge. It is simply my experience of being a landlord and what I have learnt along the way. I make no warranty for my opinion.

What date did your last fixed term start, and how long was it for.
    You have given two different years for it finishing.
    Stalkers, please go over this comment with a fine tooth comb.

Quote Originally Posted by kerad84 View Post
    My contract finishing 18 if feb 2012. my question is can i leave early? like end of tenancy? 17 of feb? ...Once again my fixed 12 month contract finish 18 feb 2013
    If your 12 month fixed term commenced on 18th February 2012 then it expires on 17th February 2013 (unless the contract actually specifies that 18th February 2013 is the 'end' date). There are not two 18th Februarys in a one year period.