LandlordZONE

Aug, 2014

Friday

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by hansa View Post

ii) employ a surveyor to advise on the cleaning requirements of the property (is a surveyor the right profession?) and pass on the cost to them.
    iii) employ an outside cleaning company to carry out the work and pass on the costs to them.
    I feel really sorry about your problem because I have the same problem here in my block. A surveyor’s fee would be over £150 plus VAT, a professional cleaning over £50 at least. I do not know the solicitor’s fee. It takes though time and stress to do all that. How many storeys are there? The owner of 3 flats would not be happy to agree to increase the service charge and add more cleaning costs. Have you considered finding a local handy cleaner to come for same money twice/monthly? - it may be possible
    "I'll be back."

Quote Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
    I feel really sorry about your problem because I have the same problem here in my block. A surveyor’s fee would be over £150 plus VAT, a professional cleaning over £50 at least. I do not know the solicitor’s fee.
    Luckily I have the covenant in my lease whereby if the freeholder is in breach of the lease then they must indemnify me in regards to the cost to me of any reasonable steps I take. I would pretty much have been at their mercy otherwise.

I have now heard back from the LL and they say "For the last 3 years the communal hallway has been cleaned to a high standard every month the cleaning cost is £10 for 1 hour. We like you, have also noticed the cleaning needs to be done more frequently and will address this."

It sounds promising but I'll only believe it when I see it.

Thanks for all the advice given.

Quote Originally Posted by hansa View Post
    Luckily I have the covenant in my lease whereby if the freeholder is in breach of the lease then they must indemnify me in regards to the cost to me of any reasonable steps I take.
    Check your lease to see whether you should in turn pay LL legal costs in taking enforcement against him. Cheaper cleaning than £10 p/h is advertised in London. One reason for the lapse in cleanliness might be an increase in the number of occupants or their visitors which you do not know. Good luck.
    "I'll be back."