LandlordZONE

Aug, 2014

Friday

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Well, I reckon that the half of the £381 I paid my accountant to do my tax return was more than compensated by the £1500 he saved me by claiming for stuff I wouldn't have thought of.
    How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive? Homer Simpson

Foundation trench for New Shed@ Ham on Rye

There is one thing that is missing on the HMRC website- when it gives you the amount due, they really should have a " Pay Now" button.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers. More ramblings atleaseholdpropertymanager.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
    There is one thing that is missing on the HMRC website- when it gives you the amount due, they really should have a " Pay Now" button.
    Or even better, a 'Let us pay you your refund now' button.
    How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive? Homer Simpson

Foundation trench for New Shed@ Ham on Rye

Quote Originally Posted by mind the gap View Post
    Or even better, a 'Let us pay you your refund now' button.
    Amen to that....

With Pay me Now get X nectar points or X % off, a free eye exam, or we send one illegal home

Quote Originally Posted by mind the gap View Post
    Well, I reckon that the half of the £381 I paid my accountant to do my tax return was more than compensated by the £1500 he saved me by claiming for stuff I wouldn't have thought of.
    But is that stuff any different to what he would have claimed for you last year? ie, apart from keeping abreast of new rules and regulationss etc, if there's no significant changes to your situation year-on-year I wonder whether it's worth using an accountant for Year 1, and then just following the same rules for Years 2 and 3...

Personally I use an accountant to generate accounts for my lettings business; all he does is convert my Excel spreadsheet to a one-page set of accounts, which I hope gives me credibility with HMRC enough to avoid the aggravation of a 'rubber glove' probe from HMRC. I don't use him to complete the self assessment form though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericthelobster View Post
    But is that stuff any different to what he would have claimed for you last year? ie, apart from keeping abreast of new rules and regulationss etc, if there's no significant changes to your situation year-on-year I wonder whether it's worth using an accountant for Year 1, and then just following the same rules for Years 2 and 3...
    I definitely needed one this year as the tax year in question was pretty complicated for me for a number of reasons (three different sources of income and starting a new business). I could in theory construct my own next year, although as you say, having them signed off by an accountant does seem to keep HMRC off your back.