LandlordZONE

Apr, 2014

Thursday

Default section 25 LTA 1985 - reported case

I've just been going through my old bookmarks which are in a total mess and have come across an old article which I thought I'd lost.

This may come in useful to people who are contemplating bringing their own case in the magistrates court. This case was a long time ago but not only did the LL's get a fine but the tenants were awarded £7000 in costs, so using a solicitor, or even the one these tenants used, could make legal action a lot easier for those put off by bringing a criminal case themselves.

Here's the link - http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...k-1148129.html
    I accept no legal responsibility for comments/advice I make on this forum. Please check with a solicitor before acting on statements made in a public forum.

Foundation trench for New Shed@ Ham on Rye

While the LA can prosecute, will they?

These days as Churchill says " Oh no".

Some do some dont.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers. More ramblings atleaseholdpropertymanager.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
    While the LA can prosecute, will they?

These days as Churchill says " Oh no".

Some do some dont.
    I was presuming that it wasn't the LA that prosecuted. The article says that somebody called 'Peter Clark' represented the tenant and I had presumed that he worked for one of the solicitor companies mentioned in the article but could be wrong.

I think £7000 in costs is a lot for a LIP (or it could be a punitive costs award if the magistrates do that sort of thing (I wouldn't have thought so though).

I've always shied away from going to the Magistrates Court with a private prosecution because I fully expected it to be a case of the blind leading the blind. A LIP in a criminal environment dealing with a Magistrate who has most likely never seen such a case before. I had forgotten about this case and now that I see the award of £7000 in costs I think the trick might be to get a lawyer to act for you. I imagine bringing a prosecution would be something not many lawyers have experience of either but they could probably do a better job of it than a LIP.
    I accept no legal responsibility for comments/advice I make on this forum. Please check with a solicitor before acting on statements made in a public forum.

It was a private prosecution- the point I was making is that LA's can but likely won't.

In the case of insurance and summaries its relatively simple you either do or don't ( barring say a messed up certificate which bearing in mind ICAEW views its possible) If a Landlord simply hasn't, then the M has little choice, and the Clerk or Lay advisor ( so I am told they are now called) can point them to the relevant legislation.

having been on the receiving end when of course it should be the freeholder/client from a vitriolic and clearly word blind leaseholder who couldn't understand that the difference between one month and 6 months of the years end, despite the certificate being produced in 6 weeks after the year end. It was easily disposed of and I got costs. If you are claiming that the certificate was produced but insufficient or deficient yes use a solicitor. s a criminal solicitor he will need counsel to explain to him

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pro...inal/rulesmenu
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers. More ramblings atleaseholdpropertymanager.blogspot.com

Interesting,still I doubt whether any LH still really want the hassle of a private prosecution but they could refer to this case, I wonder how many there have been in the 5 years since ?

Andy
    Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Quote Originally Posted by andydd View Post
    Interesting,still I doubt whether any LH still really want the hassle of a private prosecution but they could refer to this case, I wonder how many there have been in the 5 years since ?

Andy
    It's now 2013 Andy.

You might try that on with the taxman ....LOL

It only seems like yesterday!

I once got told by LEASE-ADVICE that there had not been 1 prosecution in regard to failure by the LL in regard to RFR. I always doubted that he (the adviser) would have the means of knowing such a thing.

One reason is that its a fee earner for most landlords and agents if asked. I cant remember the last time I saw a paper policy unless asked for.

I remember agreeing an NU portfolio and asking for documents as leaseholders will ask. They offered free boxes of them, and when I asked for 500 to round it up it cost some silly amount of £40 or £50 on the whole portfolio. They felt that it denuded their image if photocopies were sent out, so we charged a fee any way, and could justify as NU did charge....

I'm in a time warp..my clothes prove it , I meant 15 years.

Andy
    Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.