LandlordZONE

May, 2016

Tuesday

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Just noticed what I wrote in 2012 after getting the thing:

Quote Originally Posted by JK0 View Post
    Thanks PinkLL. I ordered one of these Garmins in the end:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165685

It's about twice what I paid for the T**T**, but promises free lifetime maps and traffic. I guess I will find out in due course if that is really the case.

Quote Originally Posted by JK0 View Post
    They have successfully made my Garmin redundant after only 3 years, despite me paying for lifetime updates.
    I have only skimmed this... that's my caveat. But... I read it as if you have successfully made your Garmin redundant. Can't you do what is suggested, get the update program successfully installed onto another computer and give it a shot?

My apologies if that's abrasive... you just sound so emphatically sure you've been badly treated, when it appears as though all avenues have not been investigated.
    Cheers, Hippo

Hmm. Even if you were my best friend Hippo, I doubt you'd let me install software on your machine. I have one computer (of three) that connects to the internet, due to similar deliberate redundancy.

I'd be perfectly happy to continue to use the program that came with my satnav. It seems to me this has been made not to work precisely so I'll go and buy another satnav.

Could't agree more.

I have a Garmin, but frequently I lend it to my wife. It's never ever locked up or froze.

But I also use NAVFree On my cheap nasty samsung galaxy ace, and you can't really beat it on price. Okay on Long Runs you can be sitting on the motorway with the words GPS signal Lost, but I've never had an issue around town. It clearly does not use satellite, but more likely uses the location of mobile transmitters, of which there are more in town.

I tend to plan long journey's in advance, with a print out of the last 5 miles and ignore the sat nav until I'm lost. Once drove from Liverpool to Cardiff to Leominster via the A roads to avoid the longer M62, M6, M5, M50 and it wasn't until I was 5 miles from my journey end that it stopped trying to force me to Go East instead of south.

6. Thanks: 1

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

JK0