LandlordZONE

Apr, 2014

Wednesday

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yes I can use section 8 but as they have been clever enough to not get the full 2 months behind i would have to use discretionary grounds and given they have children I doubt a judge would evict them just before Xmas..Deposit is correctly protected etc. The washer is not part of the contract as all else was unfurnished and I'm not even sure she is telling the truth as she has persistently lied throughout the term of the contract so I am looking at getting an appliance guy to go and check there is even a real fault with it! She is meant to be moving out anyway as the relationship apparently broke down so there would only be him left (technically)and we have discussed him moving out as soon as he can find another property because of how badly they have managed their tenancy. I on the other hand have got all repairs and work done on other problems that have arisen with the boiler and roof on the day they have occurred, but I now draw the line at a washer that was only left behind, unless absolutely necessary!

Default Obtaining property by deception

I've discovered that my 'tenant' obtained my property through false pretences and actually took the tenancy so that his partner could move in. He has apparently kept a separate property with the council though always told me he lived with her at my address, but she claims different (i have texts from her detailing this). The rent has not been paid correctly since it was obtained in March and they are now almost 2 months in arrears. He has persistently fobbed me off with reasons for getting behind. I also now think that he must have made false representations about his finances to obtain the property as he clearly cannot pay for 2 properties on his wages. His partner has now refused to pay the rent arrears due today because I have challenged her about her recent behaviour, which includes libelous claims to the council in her attempt to secure another property to move into as I have advised her to leave. She is not on the tenancy in name, only him. Is the contract even valid on this basis? And will a Section 8 order on a discretionary basis be solid enough? After abusive texts from her today I have told him that she is to leave my property immediately. Wondering where I stand on this......

You can try to seek possession under

Ground 17

The tenant, one of the tenants, or a person acting on behalf of the tenant has given false information to the landlord which resulted in the landlord granting the tenant the tenancy.

Sounds like it would be best to get a solicitor involved in this one as they seem like 'professional tenants' (know the law and want to play the system)

Serve a Sec 21 whilst you are thinking about it.
    I would look at serving a Sec 8 with grounds 8, 10, 11 and 17 as soon as the tenant has 2 months rent unpaid.
    Stalkers, please go over this comment with a fine tooth comb.

Four related threads have been merged.
    I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Yes unfortunately this tenancy has proved a nightmare with continued problems emerging. I will be pleased to see the back of them. To make things worse I took out rent cover earlier this year and the insurer is claiming this is not covered even though i have been sent documents saying that i am. The sooner I get rid and sell up the better!