LandlordZONE

Dec, 2014

Monday

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I've had a look at that but it's double-Dutch to me!
    It does seem tho, that as my gas man said, the are several factors which will determine what type of pipe is needed.

As a rough estimate there is a distance of approx 20M between my gas mains and the site where I want to install the combi boiler and about 5-6 elbow bends will be needed along that length.
    Last edited by Smiledotcom; 10-12-2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Revise metered length

Quote Originally Posted by Smiledotcom View Post
    Thanks for your replies.

There is already a 22mm pipe coming into the property. It splits out, and is reduced to 15mm piping before serving the existing gas hob and gas fire.

The boiler installer has told me however that, in view of distance from the gas mains meter - at ground level - and the number of 90 degree turnsneeded to run the pipe work from the meter into my kitchen, where I want to site boiler, then the pipes will need to start off very large 28mm(?) as otherwise the gas pressure will not be high enough to run the boiler.

I have the same set up as you on the first floor with the gas mains in the basement at least 50m from the combi boiler with numerous bends. Not one of the 3 plumbers that I had to quote said I had to increase the pipe to 28mm. I only needed to increase the size from the split to the boiler to 22mm and the hob still runs off 15mm. I have had no problems with the boiler for the past 3 years and there is plenty of pressure. FYI all combi boilers in Spain run off 15mm pipes with no problems. You do not need to go to all that extra expense.

Mmm, interesting.
    Has that combi boiler installation been signed off by a Gas Safe / Corgi registered GCH installer?

The current regulations on pressure drop off are significantly more stringent than the appliances can handle.

That said, given that no has asked the simple and vital question of what the incoming pressure is should be used to gauge the quality of any advice.

Regarding the FHs refusal to allow the pipework externally. Is there an internal route through communal areas?
    There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Have just met with gas man again. He said that the longest that a 22mm pipe can be run for is around 9 metres.
    Might be able to run the pipe into the communal hallway, box it all in, and run it up to my first floor flat from there. That's of course as long as nobody objects to that.
    Does anyone know how it works with Freehold properties such as mine - where all leaseholders own an equal share of the freehold? Do any changes need to be agreed by ALL freeholders before a licence can be granted?

Quote Originally Posted by Smiledotcom View Post
    Mmm, interesting.
    Has that combi boiler installation been signed off by a Gas Safe / Corgi registered GCH installer?
    Yes - as I rent it out, it has passed 3 times by Gas Safe plumber (different to the one who installed the boiler) and I have had no problems with the Vaillant boiler. There are 10 over 5 floors to our converted building and all have 22mm pipes from the gas mains to their combi boilers. Could the gas man not check the pressure that arrives at the end of your 22mm pipe or it may be worth getting another quote.

That's encouraging. Based on what you've said I think I ought to get a fresh pair of gas-safe certified eyes in to have a look at my system and lay out.
    What pains me about this whole process is that since I know absolutely nothing about gas works I have to accept the advice I'm given without being able to weight it up myself.