LandlordZONE

Sep, 2014

Tuesday

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm happy MTG...

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian2013 View Post
    Hey Oaktree thanks for your detailed response

So am I to understand that you do not enjoy your job? can I ask why?

Is it because of the Tenants and landlords with unreasonable expectations?

Obviously you are very experienced so can I ask who tends to give you the most grief tenants or landlords?

I would like to reiterate that I am not and will not be trying to sell anything to anyone on here
    I enjoy my job immensely, but like most jobs it has its high points and its low points.

Landlords and tenants give agents an equal amount of grief when they feel like it although I have to say that landlords are more likely to tell you when they are pleased with what you do whereas most tenants have what I call a 'council tenant mentality' when they expect everything to be done for them simply because its a rented property.

Much of it could be resolved if only they would read their tenancy agreements, agency agreements and the various other leaflets and advisorys that we make available to them which explains our services in great detail. It seems no amount of persuading, cajoling or even begging will get a tenant to read a tenancy agreement all the way through though, much less try to understand it.
    My advice is not based on formal legal training but experience gained in 20+ years in the letting industry.

Perhaps the tenants (and you) are forgetting that you do not actually work for the tenant, but for the LL.
    How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive? Homer Simpson

There are a number of agents out there who do forget who their working for because they may have more contact with the tenant.

One agency I took over the owner used to go out drinking with some of the tenants and was friends with most of the tenants on facebook.

As I have worked in this industry for over 20 years I can confidently say that I know exactly who I work for and haven't forgotten - I may be old but I'm not senile!
    My advice is not based on formal legal training but experience gained in 20+ years in the letting industry.