LandlordZONE

Oct, 2014

Tuesday

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Definitely the parent's responsibility to fit a stairgate if there is any risk of their child wandering around at night. Even with a working light, children can still stumble and fall when sleepy.

OP, without seeing the house it is hard for us to judge how serious your concerns are but to be honest, you seem to be expecting too much from your landlord.

And I'm still intrigued by the nature of the 'flammable substances' on the bathroom ceiling...
    How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive? Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by bandontherun View Post
    If its a new house it cant very well be polystyrene tiles... maybe australian flooring?
    I don't think she means 'new' as in 'newly built', just new to her.
    How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive? Homer Simpson

Quite a useful thread...inhabiting as it does that grey area between What the Landlord Must Do, What the LL Should Do, and What the Tenant Should Realise.

It is always a balance. The T in a friend's property (which I help manage) is testing our patience at the moment by incessant demands, some of which I think are reasonable, others less so. Context of the letting: it's a middle of the road property, unfurnished, clean but basic - but she got it at 25% below market rent for a quick let and declared it to be 'perfect' when viewing. She is now asking for a new shower cubicle, new blinds (existing ones are serviceable if tired-looking), a new cooker(old one is OK), a vacuum cleaner, all wall cupboards and shelves to be fixed more robustly to the wall (nothing wrong with them!), she's called the boiler engineer out three times for an alleged leak which he cannot find, she expected free help to dismantle her large items of furniture, take them upstairs (cottage with narrow stairs) and reassmemble it all, claims taps are dripping when they are not, says she wants underlay under the carpets (for some reason there isn't any) - the list goes on.

The result is that the LL is so fed up with here that she'll be serving a s21 at the earliest possible point...and I don't blame her.

Quote Originally Posted by mind the gap View Post
    Quite a useful thread...inhabiting as it does that grey area between What the Landlord Must Do, What the LL Should Do, and What the Tenant Should Realise.

It is always a balance. The T in a friend's property (which I help manage) is testing our patience at the moment by incessant demands, some of which I think are reasonable, others less so. Context of the letting: it's a middle of the road property, unfurnished, clean but basic - but she got it at 25% below market rent for a quick let and declared it to be 'perfect' when viewing. She is now asking for a new shower cubicle, new blinds (existing ones are serviceable if tired-looking), a new cooker(old one is OK), a vacuum cleaner, all wall cupboards and shelves to be fixed more robustly to the wall (nothing wrong with them!), she's called the boiler engineer out three times for an alleged leak which he cannot find, she expected free help to dismantle her large items of furniture, take them upstairs (cottage with narrow stairs) and reassmemble it all, claims taps are dripping when they are not, says she wants underlay under the carpets (for some reason there isn't any) - the list goes on.

The result is that the LL is so fed up with here that she'll be serving a s21 at the earliest possible point...and I don't blame her.
    I have a new tenant just like that! 11 call outs and only 3 of them were reasonable/appropriate. My handy man went to the property to shave a bit off a door which was a bit hard to close and she had him cutting down some of her own wardrobes!

I went and had a chat with them and said this is not acceptable - I explained which was acceptable and which was not (it's a lovely property too!) and told them that I was very unlikely to renew their contract. They have apologised and the silly nonsense calls have now stopped.

I even had a phone call to say a light bulb had gone and a plug in the bath was leaking/worn.

Enough - I like my properties to be good to live in, but I'm not a 5 star maintenance company!

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post

I even had a phone call to say a light bulb had gone and a plug in the bath was leaking/worn.
    Ha! The low point for me with our student house was being rung at midnight by one of the girls to be told that one of her housemates was bitching about her outside her bedroom door...oh, and being expected to replace a light bulb for them in a cloakroom because they 'couldn't see to replace it as the bulb had gone'.

MTG

Yer box is full agin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

And there was me wondering why I wasn't getting any messages!

Duh.

All cleared, m'lud.